Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 32-hole, 3-cross wheels. round spokes laced to mavic open pros.
at peak conditioning i hover around 160 lbs. (170-175 at worst)
i'm thinking the above specs are way over built for my needs, and might be able to get better performance by lacing the front radially, and doing the rear in some similar fashion.
Re-lacing with bladed spokes.
these wheels would potentially see moderate off-roading conditions.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
There is nothing you can do to those wheels, whether it be a different spoking pattern or different spokes, that would make a detectable difference.

I'm around your weight and my Open Pros are now used for my "off season" wheels (late fall, winter and early spring plus winter roller riding). I have lighter, more "aero", more appropriately spoked wheels for in-season. Oh and by the way, my performance increase when swapping to my summer wheels is minuscule at best.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yup, the only noticeable difference you'll see with bladed spokes are a considerably lighter wallet.

For almost the same cost, you could swap out those rims for some Kinlin XR31T rims with double butted spokes to get a reasonably aero set of alloy wheels. That would help you out more in terms of "aeroness", but would it be noticeable speed wise? Maybe a tiny bit, though you might get more substantial gains in the comfort department with a wider rim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
Yup, the only noticeable difference you'll see with bladed spokes are a considerably lighter wallet.

You also pick up more chicks with bladed spokes. :D

Seriously, there is one other advantage to bladed spokes. They are easier to build with because you can see spoke wind-up easily.

I also would not trust Mavic Open Pros with a low spoke count.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You also pick up more chicks with bladed spokes. :D
Nah, the allure of bladed spokes would be more than offset with the repulsion that a box section rim would still induce. Now maybe if he also strapped on some faux carbon whale fin shaped fairings to the rims...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.