Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a salsa la raze frame, its a few yrs old and needs a 1" fork. The frame was originally specced with a fork with 45mm of rake but inexpensive 1" forks with 45mm of rake are a little hard to come by, however 43mm forks are abound!

The bike has a 73 degree head tube angle, 74 degree st angle and the fork salsa specs with the frame now is a 370mm length fork with a 45mm rake.

Do you guys (and girls) think I will even notice the difference between a 43mm rake fork and a 45mm rake fork?

And just to stir things up a little bit, on the next size frame up (56 vs. 54) salsa specs a fork with 40mm of rake, however the ht angle remains the same (73 degrees)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fork Offset affects trail, more trail means a slower turning bike, less trail means a more responsive bike. In the instance above, you do not indicate what size wheels and tires so I will make the assumption that you are 700cx23. In that case a fork offset of 45mm will give you a trail measurement of 55mm and a 43mm offset will result in trail of 57mm. More than likely you will not be able to tell very much difference between the two trail figures. If you are forced to go to a 40mm offset fork the resulting trail will be 60mm and there would be a considerable difference in the way the bike would handle. In any of those cases the bike would not be harder to handle, meaning twitchy or to quick steering, just the opposite, the steering would be more relaxed and you may find yourself with a slightly harder to turn bike in the process.

Back to your scenario, I don't think you will really notice much of a difference if any at all.

·
my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WheresWaldo said:
Fork Offset affects trail, more trail means a slower turning bike, less trail means a more responsive bike. In the instance above, you do not indicate what size wheels and tires so I will make the assumption that you are 700cx23. In that case a fork offset of 45mm will give you a trail measurement of 55mm and a 43mm offset will result in trail of 57mm. More than likely you will not be able to tell very much difference between the two trail figures. If you are forced to go to a 40mm offset fork the resulting trail will be 60mm and there would be a considerable difference in the way the bike would handle. In any of those cases the bike would not be harder to handle, meaning twitchy or to quick steering, just the opposite, the steering would be more relaxed and you may find yourself with a slightly harder to turn bike in the process.

Back to your scenario, I don't think you will really notice much of a difference if any at all.
yes 700cX23 tires. Does more trail result in a more stable feeling at speed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.