Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hasn't history taught the masses anything??? I am sick of distant friends trying to trap me into listening to some lame get rich scheme by recruiting your friends to pay the bill and have them lose their shirt.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hasn't history taught the masses anything??? I am sick of distant friends trying to trap me into listening to some lame get rich scheme by recruiting your friends to pay the bill and have them lose their shirt.
What's really annoying is when that "friend" of yours that you haven't seen in years calls you to "catch up" and you end up wasting an hour hearing them talk about their shitty get rich quick scheme. It happened to me more times than I care to admit.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I'm in a smallish town in NE Texas. I have a few locals on facebook but I'm constantly getting friend requests from friends of friends. I can't help but think it has to do with some kind of pyramid scheme that someone is building. Those schemes are always cycling through this town as if no one ever heard of them before. But I guess it just takes a small percentage to buy in to make it worth it. Won't be me.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'm constantly getting friend requests from friends of friends. I can't help but think it has to do with some kind of pyramid scheme that someone is building.
Nah, that's just Facebook. Some people judge their own Facebook status by the number of people on their "friends" list. They don't have to know you or interact with you in any way, they just want you to add to that friend count. Maybe a pyramid of sorts, trying to be the top of the friend count pile, but not a scheme.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Pyramid schemes are illegal. MLM technically isn't because it actually sells a product. Anyone who works for a MLM and isn't at the top levels is tacitly admitting they suck at math.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Several years ago I was pleased that a close elementary school friend of mine had looked me up and wanted to get together to catch up. He tried to hook me into the Amway thing.

Jerk.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Not on FB but at work, seems like all the women are involved in some "side business" when they're not passing around those school-trip-fundraiser catalog things.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Not on FB but at work, seems like all the women are involved in some "side business" when they're not passing around those school-trip-fundraiser catalog things.
Seems like women are easily used for these sort of thing. Men, they see it and call it bs almost immediately. But to be fair, at the top level of these things, it seems the men are running the show, and women the foot soldiers.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Seems like women are easily used for these sort of thing. Men, they see it and call it bs almost immediately. But to be fair, at the top level of these things, it seems the men are running the show, and women the foot soldiers.
I doubt that it's that we have some elevated ability to call it bs. I think it's probably more along the lines of it sounds like a lot of work and might cut into our fun time a little too much.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Yep. One of my female friends drank the Herbalife koolaid, and another female friend got suckered into that It Works product line. I pissed off the latter one when I told her you can make those body wraps for pennies on the dollar by rubbing epsom salts on your abdomen and wrapping yourself in plastic wrap.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
the only thing I have observed in my dealings with these folks is that people who fall for this stuff usually aren't all that intelligent.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
There is an advantage of not having any friends.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am the stupid one because I try to explain the problem with these individuals who have drank the koolaid and let them know they most likely aren't going to get rich and the pyramid always implodes. I have actually thought of doing a type of cycling (Pampered Chef) where you sucker all your fellow cyclist to a party at your house to buy bike stuff so you can get a couple of free water bottles and jersey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts