Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indy is still too far for me. I am kind of hoping that the 2010 show somehow comes to the east coast? Or will it be going back to the west coast? It seems to be in a different city each year. Maybe obama can put some extra stimulus money for a travel expense for this show to come more towards the east coast, makes sense to me.
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
No!

There was more than enough drama with some of the West Coast builders with it in Indy.

There is Zero chance it's coming East.
 

·
Polka Power
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Lifelover said:
No!

There was more than enough drama with some of the West Coast builders with it in Indy.

There is Zero chance it's coming East.
Boo Hoo. Tell 'em to get over it....

It's a great thing this show moves around IMO.

Hopefully they can get a deal worked out for it to show up on the east cost. I think Don announces the next year location on the last day of the show, so we should know shortly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
francoaa said:
Indy is still too far for me. I am kind of hoping that the 2010 show somehow comes to the east coast? Or will it be going back to the west coast? It seems to be in a different city each year. Maybe obama can put some extra stimulus money for a travel expense for this show to come more towards the east coast, makes sense to me.

Don Walker is the one you need to convince..it's his show....My guess is you will see it somewhere on the east coast..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kind of thought that maybe west coast guys did not want it move. But hey there are plenty of great areas to ride in the east, and plenty of bike worthy towns that would love to hold it. Plus there are alot of people who would love to see the product up close before buying. Jeez why be so snobish.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
the cirque is on the east coast, pulls some of the same builders, but not as big and prob few west coasters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
If overwhelming attendance in Indianapolis, maybe or maybe not. The show was always intended to be a moving show. It will probably be held in the East and Southeast areas eventually. Would Pittsburgh be far enough east for you?
 

·
Polka Power
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
dekindy said:
If overwhelming attendance in Indianapolis, maybe or maybe not. The show was always intended to be a moving show. It will probably be held in the East and Southeast areas eventually. Would Pittsburgh be far enough east for you?
It would be a mistake to not bring this show somewhere to the northeast corridor. Pittsburgh is great but it's kinda on it's own and not really near the major NE cities. Needs to be near DC, Philly, NYC, or Boston...and it would be huge, IMO.
 

·
Ya, ya I know....
Joined
·
33 Posts
A real problem with most East Coast venues is the union labor contracts (can't unload or set-up your own stuff, let alone move so much as a light or electrical cord) that make it very expensive for small companies to justify showing their products here.

Alas.
 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
MB1's Sock Puppet said:
A real problem with most East Coast venues is the union labor contracts (can't unload or set-up your own stuff, let alone move so much as a light or electrical cord) that make it very expensive for small companies to justify showing their products here.

Alas.
Of course, that varies venue to venue. There are plenty of smaller buildings/halls available without union contracts. Of course, then I couldn't get paid to be there, so I wouldn't want that to happen . . .

The Classic Rendezvous show was in Leesburg last year, IIRC.

There are lots of smaller cities within an hour of major airports that could host a show like that. Leesburg, Westminster, MD and Frederick, MD come to mind. If Don wants it on the East Coast, that's what he'll have to do.
 

·
I didn't even own a cat..
Joined
·
594 Posts
Why did I hear that it may stay in Indy? I thought I read or heard that the founder of the show lives in Indy now and may want to keep it here. The convention center is getting a facelift and new extention so it should hold even more people. Who knows?
 
G

·
Pay attention to where the MAJORITY of paying participants is coming from.

I think you will find the majority are from the west and southwest which makes it less likely that the show will come all the way east as it greatly increases cost for the participants.
 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Pay attention to where the MAJORITY of paying participants is coming from.

I think you will find the majority are from the west and southwest which makes it less likely that the show will come all the way east as it greatly increases cost for the participants.
Which is why you move it around. Right? If you move it east, you'll see more eastern builders. For example, Parlee participated in the Interbike Outdoor Demo East, but not West, because it was convenient. You'd see a rotation of exhibitors as well. If it doesn't work out in one location, don't hold it there anymore.

I'd love it if NAHBS was in the DC area, but in reality, I think it'd be better in New England, if it were possible. Of course, if it's too expensive to even think about, then don't even think about it, but I think it's possible.
 

·
Polka Power
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Pay attention to where the MAJORITY of paying participants is coming from.

I think you will find the majority are from the west and southwest which makes it less likely that the show will come all the way east as it greatly increases cost for the participants.
Do they want to keep hitting the same market over and over? Or tap a new market?

Plenty of east cost builders as well.
 
G

·
You know what? I don't care what goes on in Don Walker's head or what the rationale is for the choices.

I don't care.

I posted my view on what I thought may be a reason.

I have no desire to get into an argument with anyone about it.


I don't care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Weigle is on the east coast, Jonny Coast is out in Brooklyn somewhere. Velo-orange is located out east. There are plenty of east coast builders... I live on the West Coast but it is sort of unfair to always have it on the West.

Then again, Indianapolis is really not that far of a flight from the east coast.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Don is from Indy.

In a discussion about this very topic with him last year (when I lived on the East Coast), he indicated that while he'd love to come there, the costs for both the show iteself and the participating builders was prohibitive. I came away thinking that it probably wasn't going to come east.....even though that is where the majority of the population is.

Time will tell.

Len
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top