Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every year that Versus/NBC Sports plays a game of chicken with the Tour of Flanders? They seem to add it to their tv schedule at the last moment. Is NBC Sports going to cover the Tour of Flanders this year? And if not, WHY????????????????????

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Ridiculous beyond belief. The Ronde not televised, while we get lots of the lesser races?
Man, that's bullshit.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think your only option is to use a "mirroring" function to put the race on your TV. If your iPad is new enough, you can use Apple's Airplay Mirroring to put the race on your TV. Otherwise, you can use a 3rd party application called AirParrot.

One word of caution about AirParrot - it seems to be more geared towards businesses that want to put spreadsheets, presentations, etc up on a TV or monitor. Anything that moves seems to be a bit jerky. Their website has tips to optimize the viewing, but it doesn't completely get rid of the jerkiness.

Either way, you'll probably need to go to cyclingfans or steephill to find a streaming live link, then use either Airplay Mirroring or AirParrot to put the race on your TV. I'm not sure of any avenue where you will be able to get the race "on-demand."

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Yeah it's crap that it won't be on NBC. Gonna try cyclingfans.com or similar streaming and run the laptop HDMI out to the TV.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Total pisser. This IS the biggest one day race of the year, and we are going to have to scrap for streaming coverage from Eurosport. Jeez, I'm just hoping at this point I just hope I can get some live video with English audio.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NBC couldn't, or wouldn't, interrupt their regular scheduled programs of fishing and hunting to put on the best one day race of the year. NBC sucks. I'm going stream the race from steephill to my tv using Airplay. I am also going to boycott NBC coverage of the Tour de France. I'll be watching the event on Eurosport. There won't be as many repetitive annoying commercials.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I can't recall the last time I saw Flanders on TV. But complaining about it is kind of rediculous. This year, 2013 has had more televised cycling than I can ever recall. Between Universal, Bein, and NBC Sports, it's been wonderful.
But, yes, Flanders is THE race of all races.
1. Sagan
2. Gatto
3. Cancellara

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
NBC couldn't, or wouldn't, interrupt their regular scheduled programs of fishing and hunting to put on the best one day race of the year. NBC sucks.
I don't think the decision is related to interrupting fishing and hunting schedules. It's to do with negotiating the TV rights and making decisions as to what they want to spend their programming money on. They have shown it the last couple of years on Versus. Maybe the audience/revenues just aren't there. They probably get many of the other races they show bundled into the Tour De France coverage rights.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
...It's to do with negotiating the TV rights and making decisions as to what they want to spend their programming money on. ....
It's not only what it costs, but how much advertisers are willing to pay to air commercials during the broadcast the determines the revenue it brings in. Blame the advertisers, not the broadcaster.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes, the advertisers rule. A few years ago, Flanders (the Belgian Super Bowl) was not on Versus' list to be televised. That changed a month before the race when a certain USA rider announced that he would be starting. No doubt, some key advertisers were quickly rounded up to make the broadcast profitable.

He finished 27th.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have connected my pc via HDMI to my flat screen to watch the Eurosport feed from Steephill and it works pretty well. Video is not in high definition but I watched Cancellara's great ride at E3 without any difficulty. Just don't download any of the junk that pops up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.