Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from www.cyclingnews.com:

Rotor rings claim first road win
The elliptical chainring renaissance continued in Portugal a couple of weeks ago when Sergio Ribero of Team Barbot-Halicon scored the first professional road race win by a rider using Rotor's elliptical Q-rings. Ribero took first place in stage 1's uphill sprint finish, and followed it up three days later with second in stage 4 to finish second overall in the four-day race.

Developed as a lighter and less expensive alternative to Rotor's cam-action crank, Q-rings are claimed to help reduce the effects of the 'dead spot' in a rider's pedal stroke by effectively reducing the size of the chainring at that moment. This lowers the gear the rider is pushing and speeds the foot through the point at which little or no force can be applied to the pedal.

More info: www.rotorbike.com

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,693 Posts
merckxman said:

The elliptical chainring renaissance continued in Portugal a couple of weeks ago when Sergio Ribero of Team Barbot-Halicon scored the first professional road race win by a rider using Rotor's elliptical Q-rings. Ribero took first place in stage 1's uphill sprint finish, and followed it up three days later with second in stage 4 to finish second overall in the four-day race.

Developed as a lighter and less expensive alternative to Rotor's cam-action crank, Q-rings are claimed to help reduce the effects of the 'dead spot' in a rider's pedal stroke by effectively reducing the size of the chainring at that moment. This lowers the gear the rider is pushing and speeds the foot through the point at which little or no force can be applied to the pedal.

If only there was a *problem* they actually *fix*.

I was thinkin it was 'bout time for another thread on bio-pace.:rolleyes:

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Hard to make a comeback when you never were to begin with. They will always live on the fringes of the cycling world with nary a chance to ascend to the throne.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hell yeah

merckxman said:

Then they'll disappear again for 5-10 years and comeback again. This has happened, what, 7 or 8 times in the past century? Kinda like airless tires, made obsolete over a century ago but somehow keep popping up again every few years.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,405 Posts
It just goes to show that a "Pro" can still win, riding "goofy" stuff. Most Pro's that win races, could still win riding a 21 pound Steel bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive tried, work pretty well

Ive actually tried these rings before. Guy at the sea otter booth let me throw them on my bike a go for two hour ride. Overall impressions were very good. On paper, ya makes sense, put the hard gears where you push the hardest. At first feels kinda choppy but after a few miles you get used to the pedal stroke. This is something i would spend my own money on.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Hey, watchit! I just rode one of those today and I ain't no pro! Neither will I be winning any races either. Kinda hard to win if you never enter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts