Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've seen all of the Youtube videos of people matching 11-40 and 11-42 cassettes to Shimano R105 11 speed rear derailleurs. Has anyone tried this setup with an 11-46 11 speed cassette? If so, how well does it work? Garbaruk makes 11-46 and 11-50 cassettes at around 300 grams. While not cheap, I'm willing to splurge if I can match it to my R105 rear derailleur. Note: The cage on the R105 is 85mm long and I will use a hanger extension and long B screw if necessary.

Thanks,

Ken.

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
16,013 Posts
Hanger extensions and longer b screws don't work. Are you using a single or double chainring? The rear derailleur has to do 2 things. 1) It has to clear the large cog. 2) The cage has to be long enough to wrap the chain needed to go big/big while it's in small/small. A hanger extension and/or a longer b screw might allow the derailleur to shift into the large cog...but...they move the upper pulley away from the medium and small cogs to the detriment of shifting performance. And they do nothing to make the pulley cage longer so the derailleur won't wrap any more chain than it did before. Wolf Tooth puts this right on their site. You can trust me on this information.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hanger extensions and longer b screws don't work. Are you using a single or double chainring? The rear derailleur has to do 2 things. 1) It has to clear the large cog. 2) The cage has to be long enough to wrap the chain needed to go big/big while it's in small/small. A hanger extension and/or a longer b screw might allow the derailleur to shift into the large cog...but...they move the upper pulley away from the medium and small cogs to the detriment of shifting performance. And they do nothing to make the pulley cage longer so the derailleur won't wrap any more chain than it did before. Wolf Tooth puts this right on their site. You can trust me on this information.
I'm running a single 40 tooth chainring.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
50 teeth are a lot more than 40. Go ahead and try it, let us know how it turns out.
It would probably be more reasonable to put a double on, then you know it will work.
I'm being a total weight weenie on this frankenstein project. To go with an 11-50 tooth cassette I'd just go with a GRX rear derailleur and accept the weight gain. I pimped out my R105 and I really want to use it (photo below). I figure an 11-46 cassette will be plenty of range for Oakland hills and at 295 grams almost nobody makes a lighter 11-46 cassette than Garbaruk. I'm just looking for someone who has tried this set up.

Automotive tire Machine Electric blue Wheel Motor vehicle

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
16,013 Posts
Also, here is a link to one of the Youtube videos showing the successful match of a R105 derailleur to an 11-40 cassette and this guy does use a Wolf Tooth extension:
I don't really care what videos of hick Brit garage mechanics might show on YT, a 40t cassette with a Road Link will never shift as well as the spec'd max cassette size. The distance between the upper pulley and the cog, especially in the middle cogs and smaller cogs is huge.
I'm being a total weight weenie on this frankenstein project. To go with an 11-50 tooth cassette I'd just go with a GRX rear derailleur and accept the weight gain. I pimped out my R105 and I really want to use it (photo below). I figure an 11-46 cassette will be plenty of range for Oakland hills and at 295 grams almost nobody makes a lighter 11-46 cassette than Garbaruk. I'm just looking for someone who has tried this set up.

View attachment 487305
First I can't believe anyone would spend that much money on a 105 derailleur. There is no way that derailleur with work with a 46 large cog. Go ahead and try it but when you rip the derailleur off the bike or end with a chain that sags a bunch in the smaller cogs I'll be here saying 'told you that would happen'. A Shimano GRX RX812 is only spec'd for a 42 max cog size, so again the 50 wouldn't work. Obviously I don't agree with Road Link set ups as 'working properly'.

· Registered
10 Posts
A Shimano GRX RX812 is only spec'd for a 42 max cog size, so again the 50 wouldn't work. Obviously I don't agree with Road Link set ups as 'working properly'.
I'm running a GRX RX810 on my gravel bike. It's spec'd for a 34 tooth max, but I have it working fairly well with an 11-46 cassette and 46/30 cranks. I did use a Road Link and the shifting isn't as crisp as the more normal 105 setup on my road bike, but it's perfectly usable and well worth it for the extra range.

I don't know how far you can push a 105 derailleur, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was workable.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,903 Posts
I'm running a GRX RX810 on my gravel bike. It's spec'd for a 34 tooth max, but I have it working fairly well with an 11-46 cassette and 46/30 cranks. I did use a Road Link and the shifting isn't as crisp as the more normal 105 setup on my road bike, but it's perfectly usable and well worth it for the extra range.

I don't know how far you can push a 105 derailleur, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was workable.
I don't understand how the road link increases the chain wrap capacity. The cage is the determining factor in chain wrap capacity. If you are outside this range, you will either bind in large-large or go slack in small-small. Of course you could get around this by sizing your chain for large-large and setting your high limit screw so it's not possible to go into small-small, but this would be a hack.

· Registered
10 Posts
I don't understand how the road link increases the chain wrap capacity. The cage is the determining factor in chain wrap capacity. If you are outside this range, you will either bind in large-large or go slack in small-small. Of course you could get around this by sizing your chain for large-large and setting your high limit screw so it's not possible to go into small-small, but this would be a hack.
You're right, the Road Link doesn't affect the capacity. I forgot to mention that I replaced the lower jockey wheel with a 16 tooth wheel, which is the biggest that will fit on the stock cage. This effectively lengthens the cage. I can use big-big and small-small, although the chain is lose in small-small and might not work well without the derailleur clutch.

Shimano is very conservative with their specs so you can often exceed them by quote a bit.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,903 Posts
Shimano is very conservative with their specs so you can often exceed them by quote a bit.
Yes Shimano is very conservative, but no on the "quite a bit". I have found I can exceed by 2 teeth, but not 4 without exceeding the chain wrap capacity. How many extra teeth could you get with a larger jockey wheel?

· Registered
10 Posts
Yes Shimano is very conservative, but no on the "quite a bit". I have found I can exceed by 2 teeth, but not 4 without exceeding the chain wrap capacity. How many extra teeth could you get with a larger jockey wheel?
I'm exceeding the official capacity by 11 teeth.

All combinations are usable although the chain rubs the front derailleur a lot in small-small. It shifts reasonably well, even under load. Not as crisp as a normal 105 setup, but not bad.

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I've seen all of the Youtube videos of people matching 11-40 and 11-42 cassettes to Shimano R105 11 speed rear derailleurs. Has anyone tried this setup with an 11-46 11 speed cassette? If so, how well does it work? Garbaruk makes 11-46 and 11-50 cassettes at around 300 grams. While not cheap, I'm willing to splurge if I can match it to my R105 rear derailleur. Note: The cage on the R105 is 85mm long and I will use a hanger extension and long B screw if necessary.

Thanks,

Ken.
I've used the Garbaruk cage on my GRX rear der. and it works great with my 11sp. 42t

1 - 17 of 17 Posts