Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
He could opt for a g-boxx, but those applications don't seem too suitable for the TdF.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if companies are (re-?) considering internal-geared cranksets in general. I mean, I don't think front shifting can get any better than it is already. The need is little, but when it presents itself, it can make the difference - one example being for Schleck.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Wow

pretender said:
Never seen one of those before. Has anybody here used one - benefits?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
LostViking said:
Never seen one of those before. Has anybody here used one - benefits?
Haven't used it, but it's an MTB item. Smoother front shifting (you don't even have to pedal) and zero (unless there's been reported defects I missed) chain droppage via internal planetary gearing is what it offers. I think the only thing stopping it from seeing the road is weight and BB shell compatibility.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
IIRC its got two internal gears. No front derailleur.

Buddy of mine got one...but couldn't install it due to some issue with the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's a two speed, low is 1:1, high is 1.6:1 so it works like a MTB double. Pros: high ground clearance, no missed shifts, can shift while not pedaling. Cons: heavy, drag in the higher gear, added frame weight due to mounting needed for system. I've ridden it. For it's intended purpost (long travel trail riding) it's excellent. For road it would need lots of refinement, mostly in weight and drag.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Or, instead of debating this, how about Schleck and the rest of his team rider asses off with the intent to cpompletely jack up the traditional parade on the final day?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
real stonie said:
Or, instead of debating this, how about Schleck and the rest of his team rider asses off with the intent to cpompletely jack up the traditional parade on the final day?
Ah, I remember my first beer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hope Schleck bails on SRAM with his new team. SRAM may be the reason for his Tour losing performance. SRAM should provide answers as to why his chain fell off at a crucial moment in the race. If SRAM is culpable in anyway whatsoever, they should issue a public apology to Andy Schleck, Saxobank, and all the Tour de France fans who were cheated from witnessing an Andy Schleck victory instead of a crushing defeat. If Schleck is foolish enough to use SRAM for his new team next year, he should at least demand 10x his current endorsement fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
enac said:
Hope Schleck bails on SRAM with his new team. SRAM may be the reason for his Tour losing performance. SRAM should provide answers as to why his chain fell off at a crucial moment in the race. If SRAM is culpable in anyway whatsoever, they should issue a public apology to Andy Schleck, Saxobank, and all the Tour de France fans who were cheated from witnessing an Andy Schleck victory instead of a crushing defeat. If Schleck is foolish enough to use SRAM for his new team next year, he should at least demand 10x his current endorsement fee.
Contador uses SRAM. In fact, he uses the exact same bike (other than the paint job). Also, Contador used SRAM last year too. A bit harsh to lay blame on the company?

·
Registered
215 Posts
SRAM pays the two best guys (Contador and Schleck) huge dollars to endorse their product, and have no problem hyping that the fact that they won the TOUR. If they do that, they should have no problem accepting blame for losing the Tour as well. Would Andy Schleck have dropped his chain at that crucial moment in the race had he been running Shimano or Campagnolo?? Maybe Contador won his 3rd Tour IN SPITE of using SRAM , an inferior product imo.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
enac said:
SRAM pays the two best guys (Contador and Schleck) huge dollars to endorse their product, and have no problem hyping that the fact that they won the TOUR. If they do that, they should have no problem accepting blame for losing the Tour as well. Would Andy Schleck have dropped his chain at that crucial moment in the race had he been running Shimano or Campagnolo?? Maybe Contador won his 3rd Tour IN SPITE of using SRAM , an inferior product imo.
This has got to be a huge embarrassment to SRAM. I predict a few engineers will be burning the midnight oil to tweak the SRAM Red RD for next year.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Edit:

I heard Sram got up in Contador's ear piece and told him to attack Schleck. Sram must win the tour!

or

New stuff is bad. Even if its race proven. Let's go back to steel bikes and shift chains with our hands.

or

Campy and Shimano are responsible for all doping until 2005/06 when Sram came to town.

Take your pick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts