Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Easton Vista SL's to a guy a few minutes by putting them on Craigs List for $140. He's going to put them on his 29'er for commuting and mentioned that he needed an 8 speed cassette. I told him that I had a 9 speed cassette laying around that he could have for $20 and he jumped on it.

As he was pulling out of the driveway I got to thinking.

Are the free hubs on mountain wheels the same size as road wheels?

Thanks

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
All Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes will fit on all 8-9 speed Shimano freehub bodies. The only exception is the few years of lame 10 speed specific freehub bodies that have since been abandoned and replaced with the old 9 speed design.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Different spacing on the rear dropouts... 130 for road bikes and 135mm for MTB. He *could* (maybe) put a 5mm spacer on the left side and redish the wheel and be ok. Also, if he has 8spd shifters he won't be able to use a 9spd cassette very well. Hopefully you won't hear from him again...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rubber Lizard said:
All Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes will fit on all 8-9 speed Shimano freehub bodies. The only exception is the few years of lame 10 speed specific freehub bodies that have since been abandoned and replaced with the old 9 speed design.
Hmmmmmm These wheels came off of my 2006 Felt F3 that has 10 speed Dura Ace.

I just replaced them with new Easton EA90 SLX's

I guess he'll be okay.

Though, I'm also concerned that his mechanic might have given him bad advice. He was told that his 8 speed shifters would work with a 9 speed cassette and that he just wouldn't be able to use his lowest gear.

I thought that the indexed 8 speed shifting had to correspond with the spacing of the 8gears.

Oh well.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
The dura-ace 7800-7801 hubs used 10 a speed specific freehub bodies as well as a few wheel manufacturers, although very few so, you wheels are probably fine. As for 8 indexing working with a 9 speed cassette, its not going to happen. The spacing between the cogs is slightly smaller on 9 speed to accommodate the extra gear as the width between both cassettes are the same. The 8 speed indexed shifters move the derailleur more with each shift than the 9 speed version.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.