Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all this will come out good in the end, something has to be done but it seems like panic to pull Basso and Ullrich among others favorites. I guess a little bit of panic might be needed to get things in the right direction, props to Riis and others. Unfortunetly the rider that wins this years Tour will for ever be know as the guy who won with a weaker field of riders. Its retarded hard regardless but with no Ullrich or Basso it must get easeir.

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
What makes you think that?

Were all of the gold medals won by the US in the 84 Summer Olympics tainted because of the boycott by the ... uh wait, uh never mind....

Kidding aside. Yes, but who cares. If all of a sudden doors were opened up and I and my team had a chance to take this race, I say more power to them and go for it. Look at Lance, he won a few himself and folks still doubt his credibility. There is always someone with sour grapes.

I'm more concerned about it being labeled the year that Lance could have won his 8th had he brought along his cycling shoes and helmet...

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
That's what they said about Lance in 1999. No Pantani, no Ullrich. Then Lance beat them both in 2000. In other words, if whoever wins this year doesn't also win in the future, some people will always regard it as a weak year.

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Nope

Because they didn't get beat by dopers. You can make the argument that the dopers would have won because they were cheating, so therefore they wouldn't necessarily be easier.

I would say this TDF is going to be the hardest ever because of the uncertainty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.