Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I am not aero
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a complete rebuild on a rather odd frame - it's a lugged steel, traditional geometry touring frame, but is set up for 26" wheels and takes a U-brake in back with canti's up front. It's fairly old and worthless, but I thought it would be good frame to try painting myself. Also, I'll probably have to cold set the frame to a modern hub spacing (it was originally a 7sp Suntour setup).

Here's the thing. I would like to run as close to a traditional road triple drivetrain (gear wise) as possible, but it looks like the wheel size is going to push me toward a mountain hub (I would prefer to purchase pre-built wheels). Would there be any issues with running a full Shimano 105 9sp setup (front and back) with barcons on a mountain hub? Mostly I'm worried about chainline issues.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't see why it would be a problem finding 26" road wheels or having them built. Can you not use 650c rims and road hubs? Or are you planning to run wider tires? There are also 650b rims that will accept a wide tire.

Al

·
I am not aero
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have said

By 26" I actually mean 559 mm bead seat diameter like MTB rims (rather than the 571 mm of 650c or 584 mm of 650b). I don't think I'll have enough adjustability in the U-brakes or canti's to run another size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.