Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this frame:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_173397_-1_201511_10000_200450
and want to convert it to a single speed using this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGLE-SPEED-FI...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a018100a

Will this work? Any other ideas for turning a frame with this type of dropouts into a single speed? I'd like to try running a single speed in some races this year, but don't want to buy another bike. Thought I would post both here and single speed/fixed forum to see what ideas I could get. Thanks.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Should be more than fine.

If the spring tension on the tensioner doesn't cut it, you can use a zip tie or rubber band to keep it engaged (rubber band being preferable if you want to be able to swap rear wheels.

Edit: I have seen, raced and been beaten by worse. . .

· Administrator
13,169 Posts
Yeah, I have seen some godawful hoopties in cross, but its all good once they say "go!".

· Thom H
225 Posts
Coolhand is right, that ain't the nicest frame out there. But it is more important how it goes in cross then how it looks. The Singlespeed is the most hoopty of the hoopty classes. I promise there will be a lot more "rat bike" looking rigs than yours by a lot. You might even be one of the most respectable rigs in some races. SS cross is also the most fun of the whole series of races IMHO. I even sometimes race my SS in the geared class even though I have a great geared bike. I do not even pretend SS is faster and know I am in for a whuppin, but it is just so darn fun banging the SS rig around the course..

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll give it a try maybe with a better conversion kit if I can find one. Thanks again. I have the frame already, had it for about 2 years and thought it would be fun to convert it over.

· Administrator
13,169 Posts
atpjunkie said:
as long as you are passing them
No one will laugh if they pass you either- unless you are wearing a costume.

· Registered
239 Posts
This will work though I would recommend looking at getting a more single speed specific cog. While I doubt you will be using superlight/nice wheels if this is a rat bike a narrow cog like those on ebay may dig some fun groves into the freehub body.
Check out Surly's singlespeed conversion page they make single speed cogs that have a wider contact point to help reduce the notching.
Hope it comes out well and you ride the heck out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.