Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the latest rounds of names to appear, with both Basso and Ullrich implicated, and apparently blood matches between previous controls and samples seized, what are the prospects now that the tour is going to start on Saturday-officials are flying to France to meet about it, there's rumors that Ullrich may be hauled in by Spanish authorities when the tour goes to Spain, and there's the Wurth decision coming down. If officials don't postpone the start, the riders could even sit down in protest. I've got a feeling this is goint to dwarf the Festina affair when it all hits the fan, especially given the way Euro journalism likes to time its stories-something big will come out Friday.

The upside I guess is that if it's as widespread as it sounds at least the riders will be on an even level. Sort of like watching the world's strongest man competition with a field of 500 pound supermen, or an old East Germany swim meet. So much for heroes in sport....

· Bone idle wanker
746 Posts
Is it too late for me to fly to Strasbourg for the prologue? I have never taken PEDs. With a whole lotta luck I might even make the time cutoff and get to start stage 1!!

· Registered
11,561 Posts
stevesbike said:
The upside I guess is that if it's as widespread as it sounds at least the riders will be on an even level. QUOTE]

Doubtful, rather the guys who were using this service are now at a disadvantage :) Seriously, it seems highly unlikely that this Spanish group is the only one running an operation such as this.

· Registered
839 Posts
Bottom line - there are advertisers who pay big money for the tour (remember Lance being threatened with expulsion last year if he didn't don the Credit Lyonaise maillot jaune?). The Tour will start, it will be raced, there will be a winner.

Of course, if they want to have any advertisers in the future, they will do everything they can to clean up their image.

I know for a fact that our company, although involved in bicycling sponsorship, would never sponsor anything that had to do with the ProTour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.