Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve used the Trail a bike last year a few times with my aluminum bike but I really don’t like the geometry of my AL. I love the way my carbon frame fits me. I see myself using the Trail A Bike more this year and it would really add to the enjoyment if I could use it with my carbon frame.

What do you think?

Edit: I understand the manual advises against it, just wondering what the thoughts are of people who ride a lot or know a good deal about carbon frames/seatposts and their tolerances or from those who may have used one with their carbon frame.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and the seatpost is carbon. Maybe I can swap the seatpost?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I’ve used the Trail a bike last year a few times with my aluminum bike but I really don’t like the geometry of my AL. I love the way my carbon frame fits me. I see myself using the Trail A Bike more this year and it would really add to the enjoyment if I could use it with my carbon frame.

What do you think?

Edit: I understand the manual advises against it, just wondering what the thoughts are of people who ride a lot or know a good deal about carbon frames/seatposts and their tolerances or from those who may have used one with their carbon frame.
Are you really going to be riding that many miles that the bike will make much of a difference? The bike's handling and performance are so seriously altered by adding the Trail-A-Bike that it's hard to believe the difference in bikes will be noticeable. Add to that the fact that the bike manufacturer says it's not a good idea and what are you left with?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I tow my daughter's Trail-a-Bike with my old mountain bike . . . but I put a hitch on our tandem as well so the whole family can ride together.

But as to the question at hand, putting a dorky looking hitch on a carbon road bike wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do not suggest using the Trail-A-Bike clamp on a carbon seatpost. There is a potential problem with the carbon delaminating or getting ovalised from advertent over-torquing the clamp.

I use a separate aluminum seatpost/saddle backup set with the clamp.

I switch to my primary carbon seatpost and (separate) saddle (without the clamp) when using the same bike for regular rides with my buddies or daily commute. It works well to use the latter for my regular rides without having to lug around the heavy clamp on the bike.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you really going to be riding that many miles that the bike will make much of a difference?
I don't really know what this season will bring. I can say this, if my son can tolerate it I would guess that I would do about 1/2 my rides with him. But I really don't think he would tolerate that many hrs for that many days of the week. Not that it's a ton of time but more than I can see him being OK with.

The bike's handling and performance are so seriously altered by adding the Trail-A-Bike that it's hard to believe the difference in bikes will be noticeable. Add to that the fact that the bike manufacturer says it's not a good idea and what are you left with?
That's a good point. But it's not like I would need performance or handling while towing a Trail a Bike - the rides will be nice and steady, no sharp cornering or hammering (maybe a little hammering just for fun).

The difference would be in the way it feels and fits. The aluminum is relaxed and I know a lot of people like that but for whatever reason I am much more comfortable on my traditional geo, which is carbon. Everything about it feels worlds better - reach is better, drop is better, handlebar width is better, and a lot of other things. I know some of those things can be adjusted but it's just an intangible quality about the bike that suits me much more so than the other (it has nothign to do with frame material), so bottom line is that I can make the AL fit better but I am pretty sure I won't get it to feel the same. And I'd rather not dump too much $ into it too.

Plus I would sometimes be going away on weekend trips and would want to take the Trail a bike so I could use it on one ride and then just me on another. I would prefer not to have to lug 2 bikes, which would mean I either ride the AL on my solo ride or hook the trail a bike to the carbon or not go on one of the rides (which is incomprehensible). It's a big dillema right now. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I use a separate aluminum seatpost/saddle backup set with the clamp.

I switch to my primary carbon seatpost and (separate) saddle (without the clamp) when using the same bike for regular rides with my buddies or daily commute. It works well to use the latter for my regular rides without having to lug around the heavy clamp on the bike.
That's exactly what I did. Have a separate post with saddle for the kid carrier. I used to leave it clamped onto the carrier. My kids hated those things. I did too. Felt like towing a lead parachute. To this day, I still have the extra post/saddle. I have attached a seatpost rack to it and use it for commuting when I need to haul things to and from work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.