Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was der Kaiser's last great hope for glory. The inevitable two year ban would likely end his career, methinks. If he needed blood doping to be competitive, he certainly won't be competitve being two years older with no blood doping when his ban is over. Not only that, but he never seemed to be much into training/suffering, so I think this will push him right out of cycling.

On a side note, with the timing of all of this, if there are two-year bans handed out in a week or two, that would mean banned riders would miss this tour, AND possibly the next TWO, since their ban would likely last until mid-July of 2008 (after the start of the tour), unless they delayed the start of the race that year.

EDIT: I started another thread about this, but according to UCI Head Pat McQuaid, convicted riders will face the mandatory two year WADA ban PLUS AN ADDITIONAL TWO YEAR BAN FROM THE PRO TOUR - A FOUR YEAR TOTAL BAN, effectively ending their careers.

· Registered
187 Posts
You are assuming he is guilty, i think it is a bit premature. I prefer to let the investigation play itself out. Hopefully he is not found guilty, I really wanted Jan to win again after so many seconds and a fourth.

If he were to be found guilty I think it sould spell the end, he is 32 right now and I don't see him winning at 34 or 35.

· Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T-Mobile thinks he's guilty. They said the evidence was irrefutable. That leads me to believe they matched up blood samples.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
that's what I'm thinking

if they make DNA matches from previous races to blood from Fuentes it's all she wrote.
and yes I think he'll retire

· Registered
7 Posts
Just posted this in response to sad day in General forums

Jan just issued his statement and it was posted at T-Mobile's team site:
Ullrich: "I am shocked"

T-Mobile Jan Ullrich has issued his first public response to his suspension and exclusion from the Tour de France. "I am shocked,“ said Ullrich. "I still don't have anything to do with this affair.“

Earlier Christian Frommert, director of sport communication at T-Mobile International, again emphasised that there wasn't any clear evidence that Ullrich had used banned substances. "But we have good reason to doubt that he has told us the truth as far as his contact with Fuentes is concerned. That’s why we suspended him”, says Frommert. "Furthermore, we have confirmation from the A.S.O., that they would have taken action in case we hadn’t“. However, according to Frommert, Ullrich still has the chance to prove his innocence.

Ullrich see himself "as a victim. I was in peak form and now I could cry, because I have to head home“. The 32-year-old will now return to his home base in Switzerland, to get a few days of peace and quiet. "Together with my lawyers I will then set out to prove my innocence.“

Read more @ Team T-Mobile

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
His team spokesman said

Daily_Spin said:
Jan just issued his statement and it was posted at T-Mobile's team site:
Ullrich: "I am shocked"

T-Mobile Jan Ullrich has issued his first public response to his suspension and exclusion from the Tour de France. "I am shocked,“ said Ullrich. "I still don't have anything to do with this affair.“

Team T-Mobile[/URL]
The documents presented were "irrefutable".

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
He's done.

And does anyone ever "prove their innocence"? Has anyone in cycling ever been busted and then turned the tables?

He's done. It's so sad to see it end this way. My bright side is it should be a good race.

· Registered
7 Posts
I would agree

rocco said:
I'd be inclinded to bet he's effectively done.

Have to agree. Let's face it, he was beginning to prep for post riding anyway. With the release of his new bike line, it just screamed retirement fund. I think he hoped that a strong tour or even the tour win would ensure the success of his bike line's sales. Now the question comes is...if he's guilty, will his bike's sell?

Even a bunch of his former colleague's have been quoted over on cyclingnews

Jens Heppner, former Ullrich colleague: "I think that Jan wanted to end his career after a Tour victory anyway. Now he just has to end it three weeks earlier."

All I can say, its definitely going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.