Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, the weather in New England is starting to break, and I'm out chasing down school buses and running over old ladies [ed. note: That'd be a joke, for those reading this who are unequipped with a Sense-O-Humor unit] but the wind! I'm wearing some very large, bug-like eyewear, but on the cheekbones, and the outer edges of my eye sockets, I've got some debilitating [hyperbole] wind burn.

Any way to avoid this?

-OwMyNads

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
try vaseline

its worked for me in the dead of winter and it's negative double digit wind chills. I assume youve got a balaclava. the combination of the 2 with some good goggles should keep you going. If its cold enough, ditch the "eyewear" and go with some double lensed snowboard goggles. Make sure you spring for the dual lens though, less likely to fog up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You need windscreen

It's like sunscreen for the face. Check the outdoor/ski shops. I've used Dermatone (greasy) and Proline (non-greasy) with good results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yep, vasoline

owmynads said:
Yep, the weather in New England is starting to break, and I'm out chasing down school buses and running over old ladies [ed. note: That'd be a joke, for those reading this who are unequipped with a Sense-O-Humor unit] but the wind! I'm wearing some very large, bug-like eyewear, but on the cheekbones, and the outer edges of my eye sockets, I've got some debilitating [hyperbole] wind burn.

Any way to avoid this?

-OwMyNads
cheap and it works

·
Registered
676 Posts
Vaseline or

A&D ointment (found in the baby's products) A&D also has lanolin. Either product rubbed on the exposed skin will prevent windburn (if you apply too much, just wipe with paper towel....you can't get 100% of it off). If you've already got the wind burn (or sun burn) pat some clear vinegar on the skin and let it set for a minute, then do it once more....it will reduce the tenderness immediately.. (for those who live near the oceans, vinegar is an instant relief from jelly fish stings) The vinegar will smell for a little while, but you'll feel 200% better. (put a little vinegar in a plastic squirt bottle and keep it in the shower, for when you come back from a hot ride and have developed a little heat rash ... a slight stinging momentarily, but no more heat rash)

Vinegar is absolutely safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts