Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until now I have ignored the incessant nagging of Microsoft to take their "free" upgrade. Most of this is based on fear of breaking something and a healthy distrust of MS. It seems the motivation is likely based on going to a subscription service like Office 365 which provides them a steady income stream. On the other hand I worry that they will stop supporting the older OSs to force our hand. What do the Lounge Gods say?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
The sucky thing about Windows 10....Some streaming video players HATE win10. Specifically Eurosport. It hitches and lages and hangs up on all browsers on Windows 10, but runs fine on Windows 7 on the same connection.

Subscription Windows is coming quicklike.

Personally, I found a decrapified de-spyware'd Windows 10 Enterprise ISO online and manually crippled AutoKMS authentication. They're giving it away for free, so they shouldn't care that it isn't on the up and up-since they weren't planning on getting any money on it anyway.

Google "Windows 10 Privacy Edition LTSB".

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
I upgraded 2 laptops and one desktop to Windows 10. No hiccups at all. I didn't find it to be all that much different from Windows 7.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I like windows 10 better than Vista. Windows 7 was pretty good. One thing I do NOT like about 10 is that Movie Maker has changed...you cannot burn a DVD using Movie Maker in Windows 10.

Otherwise, works for me on two of three computers. I set it up to look a lot like Windows 7.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Giving up. Rolling over.

Text Line Font Rectangle Symbol With me, I think MS has finally won the stare contest.

I recall setting up a few systems with the old MS DOS. I liked getting the config.sys and .bat files the way I liked them.

I liked having the C prompt, then getting to type in "win" [return] in order to pull up Win3.1

i have always been more comfortable when I knew what was going on with the computer, where files were going, etc.

Across successive versions, MS has subverted that. And I might try to sustain one version (I liked XP a lot), but they would undermine me one way or another - a new scanner would not run well on the ol OS, etc.

Plus, I have no idea what version we are on. I just gave up on XP, and we are - what? on our 4th OS since XP?

I am giving up. I am rolling over and letting MS rub my belly, and I am controlling my drive to bare my fangs and fight back.

Yes, I will probably upgrade to 10. Oh, wait - I don't have to? It will simply force me?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
I upgraded to Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop. Sadly, my windows 10 upgrade does not support my dual SLI configuration. That's okay I didn't really like Titanfall anyway.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I'd skip the download and buy a Chinese pirated version and go with that.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I've been in software for 17 years and would note that "piracy is not a victimless crime". :)

Always think it's interesting how Windows releases almost mimic Star Trek movies...

Windows 95 - OK
Windows 98SE - Great
Windows ME - Booo
Windows XP - Hooray
Windows Vista - Good God, what a disaster!
Windows 7 - I'm the greatest of all time!
Windows 8 / 8.1 - BOOOOOOOOO
Windows 10 - Acceptable... hey, maybe even good...

Edit: Skipped NT 4.0 and 2000, just considered consumer versions.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
You missed the obvious irony. Free Windows 10 will reduce the street profit off of pirated copies of the OS. I have a couple of comments about your list. Windows Vista was acceptable after service pack 1. 7 was simply

Vista with "tweaks". Windows 8.1 was faster and more secure than 7 it just required a simple mod to a different start menu program. I don't see compelling consumer reason to upgrade to 10 unless it's free, which it is and

you should if only for the latest security features.

I've been in software for 17 years and would note that "piracy is not a victimless crime". :)

Always think it's interesting how Windows releases almost mimic Star Trek movies...

Windows 95 - OK
Windows 98SE - Great
Windows ME - Booo
Windows XP - Hooray

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
DOS. .bat files. Ahhh, the good old days.

I just tossed about a hundred 3.5 inch floppies with Windows 3.1 and some of the original versions of Word, Excel. They were in the desk for nearly 20 years.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
I upgraded to Windows 10 on my old gaming desktop. Sadly, my windows 10 upgrade does not support my dual SLI configuration. That's okay I didn't really like Titanfall anyway.
Is Dual-SLI passe now? It seems like Win10 should be able to handle it.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
DOS. .bat files. Ahhh, the good old days.

I just tossed about a hundred 3.5 inch floppies with Windows 3.1 and some of the original versions of Word, Excel. They were in the desk for nearly 20 years.
Ha Ha! Chucking those old disks. I did a long time ago. After copying them to hard drive - Win31 is still in my archives somewhere!

I think I also have IBM PC DOS, as well!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I noticed a billboard the other day with a local computer shop advertising saying they will stop the annoying nagging to download Windows 10.

When customers not only don't want your product for free but will also pay someone to avoid it, you are doing something horribly wrong. It seems this should concern Microsoft but as suggested earlier, their target is to start charging monthly fees to run your PC.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Windows 95 - OK
Windows 98SE - Great
Windows ME - Booo
Windows XP - Hooray

LOL,but I agree.. Like 95, XP was great, vista was rubish, have been enjoying 7 for a while now, but new laptop had 10 and ...I think I prefer vista...

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
there target is to start charging monthly fees to run your PC.
--Maybe. They have MS Office at the annual fee now.

My thought has been that they have been developing yet newer generations of the OS mainly so that all the big enterprises and schools have to upgrade, and so remain committed yet again to MS, and so MS keeps a high barrier to market entry for any rival -- any rival cannot rival MS 6 because MS has just released 7, and when you design your OS to rival 7, Os 8 is already in beta.

There have been improvements across the generations, but we all know that for the end user there have been very few that were as revolutionary as going to genuine multiple app capability in Win95. 98% of differences generation to generation, for the end user, have been a matter of re-arranging the deck chairs.

They aren't doing it because they figured out better ways to open files or multitask or right-click on something.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
--Maybe. They have MS Office at the annual fee now.

My thought has been that they have been developing yet newer generations of the OS mainly so that all the big enterprises and schools have to upgrade, and so remain committed yet again to MS, and so MS keeps a high barrier to market entry for any rival -- any rival cannot rival MS 6 because MS has just released 7, and when you design your OS to rival 7, Os 8 is already in beta.

There have been improvements across the generations, but we all know that for the end user there have been very few that were as revolutionary as going to genuine multiple app capability in Win95. 98% of differences generation to generation, for the end user, have been a matter of re-arranging the deck chairs.

They aren't doing it because they figured out better ways to open files or multitask or right-click on something.

MS has announced a subscription service for enterprising users. That seems to suggest that they see this as the way of the future. As you stated they really aren't creating any compelling reason for people to want to upgrade so squeezing us for a few dollars for month makes more sense

?Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 as a subscription service--but only for certain enterprises - TechRepublic

1 - 20 of 28 Posts