Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the skinny on a frame offered through Bikesdirect.com called Windsor? Where are they manufactured, any quality issues, etc? Many thanks.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
TGC said:
Does anyone have the skinny on a frame offered through Bikesdirect.com called Windsor? Where are they manufactured, any quality issues, etc? Many thanks.

Product of Mexico. Been around for awhile. Quality is Okay/Decent from what I've heard and read. Definitely not anything to top notch. I have no personal experience just second hand but I think you usually get what you pay for.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Back in the day ....

TGC said:
I had one in the late 70s - it was an exact copy of a classic Cinelli and was a really nice bike - all Campy Record. I have no idea whether that is still the same company or not. If I am recalling correctly, Eddy Merxck rode a Derosa track bike for his world hour record in Mexico but he, or someone, put Windsor stickers on it thus, supposedly, causing Derosa to wail and cry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not recomended!

I owned a '04 Windsor, the ride seamed smooth and i had no problems with the bike.....other than my LBS refering to it as a "wind sock" the font is hard to read and from that moment on it became a Wind sock. Also it had really, REALLY, ugly welds. I would not recomend this frame unless you are short on cash and you cannot afford anything nicer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sintesi said:
Product of Mexico. Been around for awhile. Quality is Okay/Decent from what I've heard and read. Definitely not anything to top notch. I have no personal experience just second hand but I think you usually get what you pay for.

these are actually made in taiwan...not mexico by IDEAL who also makes fuji frames and some bianchi i believe.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Bikesdirect may have bought the name

Bikesdirect's (and Cycle Spectrum's) parent company bought the Motobecane and Mercier names and uses them on their own line of pretty decent quality Kenesis-built frames. Didn't buy one myself, but have talked to others who have and they're quite happy with them. Saw recently that they'd started offering Windsor as well. Not sure whether they bought that name or not. I did try e-mail to the contact info on Windsor's web site many months ago when I was looking at getting the most bike for the buck, and never got any info back. There was no other company contact info at all, which made me think the company is now probably nothing more than a nameplate for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
633 said:
Bikesdirect's (and Cycle Spectrum's) parent company bought the Motobecane and Mercier names and uses them on their own line of pretty decent quality Kenesis-built frames. Didn't buy one myself, but have talked to others who have and they're quite happy with them. Saw recently that they'd started offering Windsor as well. Not sure whether they bought that name or not. I did try e-mail to the contact info on Windsor's web site many months ago when I was looking at getting the most bike for the buck, and never got any info back. There was no other company contact info at all, which made me think the company is now probably nothing more than a nameplate for marketing purposes.
i emailed both bikesdirect and windsor directly regarding the frames and received responses from each. the bikesdirect info was very thorough. i ordered the "trent" and should receive it on thursday...ill post an update then.

·
On your left
145 Posts
Windsor was good enough for Eddy Merckx

Well, not really. According to some versions of the story, Eddy sold out Ernesto Colnago for a few hundred dollars to put Windsor decals on his Colnago for the hour record. In close-up pictures you can see the trademark Colnago seatstays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts