Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm getting ready to whip out the Visa and order a Windsor The Hour from BD. I have a couple of questions and observations since I have your attention. How are you guys mounting a rear fender without the chain stay bridge? I have noticed that most bikes in this price range have the same lack of a bridge. Why spec the rack braze ons and leave off the bridge? Seems a little goofy to me. I also don't like the idea of not being able to choose between a quill and threadless stem. I am planning on putting a cog on the freewheel and front brakes until I get more comfortable with using it as a fixie. Are the lock rings standard 1.29 X 24? Are the chains 3/32 or 1/8? One more. Is the front brake hole made for a standard road bike recessed bolt ? I know I can get most of this answered from BD but thought I would check with real world people first. Besides I can't find a phone number for them.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
What modern bike allows you the choice of quill or threadless, short of a custom bike?

Most folks just put a "backscratcher" fender (that clamps to the seatpost) on bikes without braze-ons.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilverStar said:
What modern bike allows you the choice of quill or threadless, short of a custom bike?

Most folks just put a "backscratcher" fender (that clamps to the seatpost) on bikes without braze-ons.
My point is that you don't have a choice in stems. They ship you whatever they have and I don't want a quill stem. I like the clean lines of the Windsor and those backscratchers are fugly.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Again, you never have a choice in stems these days...the fork is either threaded or threadless and each necessitates a particular type of stem.

If you really want to (and can even fit) fenders on your Windsor, you could always use p-clamps:
http://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/07/19/p-clamps-are-your-friends/

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying now after visiting the BD site. That IS sucky about not being able to choose.

And, the chain is 1/8"...it's a KMC Z410, which is 1/8"

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If you want the ability to mount a decent fender set, there are better choices out there than The Hour.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard said:
If you want the ability to mount a decent fender set, there are better choices out there than The Hour.
Thanks for the heads up. What do you recommend while staying in the price range of the The Hour.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Richard said:
I agree, i have one, i really like it, but the clearances are too tight for full coverage fenders.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
RJohn said:
Thanks for the heads up. What do you recommend while staying in the price range of the The Hour.
Schwinn Madison or the new Kilo WT coming this summer

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
RJohn said:
While I'm not a big fan of BD, they've got other offerings that may suit your needs better at a similar price point.

And my "not a big fan" perspective is applicable to all internet bike sales. If you're a decent "wrench", no problem. But you get the bike in the same condition we at the shop get ours - in a box. We build 'em, often have to deal with "minor" issues like wheels that are out of true, poorly adjusted headsets and hubs, etc. Even from "top tier" manufacturers.

That being said (seems like my favorite "phraseology" these days, I just found and ordered a Campy Centaur crankset online cheaper, including tax and shipping, than I could have got it from any of our wholesale suppliers.:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Fantom Cross Uno has a seat stay bridge, rack braze ons, and drilled rear dropouts.
It has a flip flop hub and comes with a freewheel and fixed cog.
There is plenty of room for fenders and fat tires.
It has a 1/8 chain.
The fork has a braised crown which looks better than a unicrown.
I've had one for 6 months and really like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts