Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
It's great that you like it, but IMHO, as apparantly others, it looks like it would be a whole lot of work and the bike really isn't anything special. That said, if you like it and you want to have a go at it, more power to you.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
tomacropod said:
based on what fbagatelle? Not challenging you - just curious what you're looking at.

- Joel
1. Crank

2. Front derailleur

3. Saddle

4. Normandy-esque hub.

5. Chromed lugs.

6. Bar-con shifters (although I bet those were added after the fact)

7. Conversations with LBS owner back in 1983 about the Windsors of that period.

I cannot give an exact date on any of the components listed above, but they all scream "late seventies/early eighties." I'd put money that they bike is circa 1976-79.

Yours,

FBB

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I'll second that. I had a mid-70's Gitane that had the same crank and a Normandy f hub, just like that one.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Kram59 said:
It's great that you like it, but IMHO, as apparantly others, it looks like it would be a whole lot of work and the bike really isn't anything special. That said, if you like it and you want to have a go at it, more power to you.
The whole BOBish/Rivendell crowd is embracing mixtes with open arms these days. See:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_mixte.html

This Windsor is likely to be a good-quality mixte. I doubt it would be worth big bucks any time in the near future, but you could make a nice-riding creature out of it.

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
62 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
1. Crank

2. Front derailleur

3. Saddle

4. Normandy-esque hub.

5. Chromed lugs.

6. Bar-con shifters (although I bet those were added after the fact)

7. Conversations with LBS owner back in 1983 about the Windsors of that period.

I cannot give an exact date on any of the components listed above, but they all scream "late seventies/early eighties." I'd put money that they bike is circa 1976-79.

Yours,

FBB
cool - learning, learning.

- Joel

·
Registered
614 Posts
Suntour made the derailleurs, and likely the freewheel...

and also the bar-end shifters.

sphinks36 said:
all of the components are by Suntor if that helps
No they're not, and no, it doesn't.

The crankset is a Sugino (Maxy?), the brakes and stem are made by Dia-Compe, and the hubs are a non-Suntour Japanese brand, perhaps Suzue or Sanshin (the only Windsor I've ever seen that used European parts was the Windsor Professional). There were some odd (no name) rims and pedals on Windsors, including the rims and pedals on my 1979 Windsor Super Carrera I have in the garage.

Good luck with your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.