Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HyTek *******
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you nutritionists and nutrition afficianados... From a weight maintenance standpoint, what is 'better'? In other words, I know from all those alcohol & drug awareness classes from school that a glass of wine = 1 can of beer from an alcohol content standpoint. What about carbs & other weight affecting components? Which is lower impact on my battle with my bulge (above the belt)?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
PAZ71 said:
Ok all you nutritionists and nutrition afficianados... From a weight maintenance standpoint, what is 'better'? In other words, I know from all those alcohol & drug awareness classes from school that a glass of wine = 1 can of beer from an alcohol content standpoint. What about carbs & other weight affecting components? Which is lower impact on my battle with my bulge (above the belt)?
white wine may be slightly better, but in all reality alcohol just isn't a diet drink. If you want the absolute lowest then just slam a shot of vodka or mix it with some diet tonic water and a bit of lime.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
PAZ71 said:
The main calorie value of a drink comes from the alcohol itself. This is why light beers often have much lower alcohol content than normal beer.

That being said, anything with carbohydrates, fats, or protein (what the hell booze has either of those) in addition to the alcohol will have more calories. So, pure grain alcohol is probably your best bet for lowest calories to get drunk.

Silas

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
SilasCL said:
The main calorie value of a drink comes from the alcohol itself. This is why light beers often have much lower alcohol content than normal beer.

That being said, anything with carbohydrates, fats, or protein (what the hell booze has either of those) in addition to the alcohol will have more calories. So, pure grain alcohol is probably your best bet for lowest calories to get drunk.

Silas
alcohol by itself has no carbs or protein, but the body tends to treat it more like a carb than anything.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Do what the locals do

PAZ71 said:
If you are riding in Belgium, drink beer (when I rode the Tour of Flanders cyclosportif, they were selling beer at the last rest stop and at the finish line).

If you are riding in France or Italy, drink wine. Same for California.

And, if you are riding in the Southeastern US, moonshine.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MarkS said:
If you are riding in Belgium, drink beer (when I rode the Tour of Flanders cyclosportif, they were selling beer at the last rest stop and at the finish line).

If you are riding in France or Italy, drink wine. Same for California.

And, if you are riding in the Southeastern US, moonshine.
So in Jamaica I should smoke spliffs then?:cool:

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
SilasCL said:

Silas

A lot of good that does if you have to drink twice as much.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you're fighting the battle of the bulge, avoid liquid calories all together. When you hit your goal, are used to eating smaller portions, and can't stop the weight from falling, drink whatever you want.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
So in Jamaica I should smoke spliffs then?:cool:
The issue with that of course is that you are trading your weight for your cardiovascular system. I guess you can't really win :)

I'm in the process of de-chronic-ing myself now so I can perform better on the bike a joint a night or more is just too much even tho it's so much less than friends that choose to smoke cigarettes.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
bignose said:
The issue with that of course is that you are trading your weight for your cardiovascular system. I guess you can't really win :)

I'm in the process of de-chronic-ing myself now so I can perform better on the bike a joint a night or more is just too much even tho it's so much less than friends that choose to smoke cigarettes.

Good heavens... they could cure anorexia with THC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what the calories are but I'll take a 3 Floyds Alpha King or a St. Bernardus Abt. 12 over some fancy pants glass of whine any day. Bike racin aint no sport for snooty "Sideways" sissys! Go ride and cool off with a beer.

·
HyTek *******
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bignose said:
QUOTE]

A buddy of mine (RIP) who had cystic fibrosis used to smoke weed occasionally as it has some bronchio-dilating effects. It actually helped him breathe a little easier at times. He outlived the doctors prognoses(?) by about 20 years! Makes me waaaayyyy to paranoid anymore, so I guess I'll just fire up the still with a good ol' middle Georgia recipe for some sippin' juice...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts