Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While its getting warmer in the nth hemishere for most forumers here, its inching towards winter in the southern hemispere. This is my 1st time riding in late autumn and through winter.

This leads 2 my question. How do you guys keep your legs, and especially knees, warm during autumn and winter commutes? Do you stick with raincoat pants or go all out with longjohns :p. How does yr warmer clothing work with your daily clothing? I'm in jeans when riding in summer. Btw do you warm yr legs b4 go riding or what?

The weather here can be as low as 5 degrees celcius and only as high as 20 at midday. Winter here can be pretty dreary and wet.

anyhoo, thanks in advance

cheers

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i'm not kidding: try pantyhose. under tights. seriously. 'nuf said.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Knee warmers, leg warmers, tights.

Any shop or mail order place that caters to racers will have a big selection of these.

The nice thing about having these items of clothing is that you can combine them so you have stuff to wear when it is cool, cold or frigid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Knee warmers

Even at temps of around 32 (0 celcius) I just go with bib shorts and knee warmers. Unless it's really cold (like below freezing) that while my hands and feet get really cold, as long as my knees are covered, I find that the cold isn't really a problem for my legs. If it is colder than freezing, I wear winter tights like the ones that MB1 has pictured in his post.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...ategory_rn=4501475&vcat=REI_SSHP_PADDLING_TOC

I put these over top my under armour tights for below 33F (or if it is really windy below 37F).

limzjun2002 said:
While its getting warmer in the nth hemishere for most forumers here, its inching towards winter in the southern hemispere. This is my 1st time riding in late autumn and through winter.

This leads 2 my question. How do you guys keep your legs, and especially knees, warm during autumn and winter commutes? Do you stick with raincoat pants or go all out with longjohns :p. How does yr warmer clothing work with your daily clothing? I'm in jeans when riding in summer. Btw do you warm yr legs b4 go riding or what?

The weather here can be as low as 5 degrees celcius and only as high as 20 at midday. Winter here can be pretty dreary and wet.

anyhoo, thanks in advance

cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I commute 16 mi. or 27 km each way daily. I have several pair of tights in varying thicknesses. For temps of 35F or 4 C, I wear Performance windproof/waterproof tights. I've worn these in temps as cold as 10 F,
(-12C), and have been comfortable. They are relatively inexpensive, comfy to wear, and are quite rugged.

·
Registered
727 Posts
if you have any exposed skin that gets cold, like face, wrists, ankles....slather on a bit of vasleline. don't rub it right in, but there doesn't have to be a huge gob either. works like a charm to fight off that wind chill. hey, if anyone knows winter it's us canadians. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts