Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my issue. I am looking for a glove to use from the 30-40 degree f range. I have long fingers so finding a glove that doesn't cut off circulation when grabbing the bars is tough. Width is not an issue. Previously I had a XL Pearl Izumi Gavia glove that fit like the XXL of 2011. My fingers got cold on rides in the 30-35 degree range with the Gavia. A crash this spring left them vented (i.e. shredded) so that is why I am now looking for a new pair.

So far I have tried....

a) 2011 bontrager winter gloves XL...not long enough in the fingers,
b) Craft winter gloves in XXL....not long enough in the fingers
c) PI softshell in XXL...could work, but slightly tight in the fingers

I was looking at the Louis Garneau Super Prestige Glove. Does anyone have any reviews on this, or any other options?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Aside from fingerless summer gloves I've never owned a bicycle specific glove. When I need gloves I almost always get them from here: www.sierratradingpost.com. They have customer reviews as well as accurate descriptions. I have had good luck with Grandoes, but YMMV.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
In the winter, I wear Mechanix gloves.... you know, the kind you work on your car with....

They are fine down to about 30 degrees F, and are available at nearly every Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Meijer, etc....

Sure, there is virtually no padding, but some other brands have anti-vibration padding. For a thirty mile ride, you don't really need the padding anyway.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am always searhing for gloves and the best winter gear that works for me. The only thing I buy every year are these gloves. They are very flexible and warm. I buy em for my dad and son too, they love em. When it gets real cold I put a liner on underneath them. The cotton mesh ones you buy from Ace Hardware. But for gloves these are nice on the bike.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved. Stopped in the Trek Store today to see if they had a bigger selection of the new Bontrager gloves and found a PI Gavia size XXL on clearance for $23. There is still room in them for me to put a thin liner if I need to. Now I need to replace the shredded shoe covers and arm warmers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts