Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Olympics and can't wait for them to begin.

What are your favorites and dislikes?

I love downhill skiing, luge, biatholon, ice skate racing (love the short track ice derby stuff), bobsledding.

I don't really get into the figure skating, snowboarding, trick skiing, or the curling,

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I like the luge, downhilling, and Curling baby, what would the olympics be with out that staple of canadian dominance!

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FTF said:
I like the luge, downhilling, and Curling baby, what would the olympics be with out that staple of canadian dominance!

Every time I watch curling I think my Mom is going to yell, "Don't forget to shake out the rugs after you are done sweeping"

·
Registered
187 Posts
skeleton

FTF said:

It's like the luge but face-first! Bobsledding is pretty cool, and this year I'm kinda interested in the downhill events with Bode Miller. Luge is ok, but doubles luge is a bit weird. First time I ever saw that, the guys had white skinsuits and white helmets, they looked like two sperms sliding down the ice on top of each other.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
cross country skiing
bobsled
hockey
downhill sking

dislikes:

ice dancing
curling (althought this has to be the only sport dominated by overweight old men)

Best Winter Olympics Sport: Cyclocross

oh, wait never mind.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
good stuff

Best: time/distance things
Like: things with points scored (e.g., hockey)
Dislike: judged things

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I like the Winter Olympics so much better than the Summer Olympics, because it's manageable. Summer has far too many things going on.

Favorites: Any alpine skiing. Speed skating, especially short track. Bobsled. I enjoy pairs figure skating, because they are studs. I'll watch cross country skiing, but like ESPN showing the TDF, they rarely show enough of it to really get into it. I also like the snow fort and snowball throwing competitions.

There are things I can do without: Curling, I don't get it. The two-man luge seems a little...strange, NTTIAWWT. Freestyle skiing is cool, but far too short and repetitive to keep my interest. Same thing for ski jumping. It's cool, but it's ultimately boring.

I'm looking forward to snowboardercross. I've never seen it, I'm not really sure how it works, but it sounds pretty cool. I hope it is full contact!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
FTF said:
Curling is even sillier than cricket and nearly as exciting, I simply can't understand how that got to be an olympic sport, oh well, I'll just have to drink beer and enjoy. ;)

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Jayhawk said:
It's like the luge but face-first! Bobsledding is pretty cool, and this year I'm kinda interested in the downhill events with Bode Miller. Luge is ok, but doubles luge is a bit weird. First time I ever saw that, the guys had white skinsuits and white helmets, they looked like two sperms sliding down the ice on top of each other.
I put skeleton, luge, and bobsledding all in the same catagory: Luge. Why? Becuase they all go down that same sheet of ice! WOOT!

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
bigrider said:

Love downhill skiing, biathlon, ski jumping (those guys must be crazy!)

Don't really care for the judged stuff - Ice dancing (the "kiss and cry" coverage is the most entertaining part for me), snowboarding, trick skiing, moguls (makes my knees hurt just watching).

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Fixed said:
Best: time/distance things
Like: things with points scored (e.g., hockey)
Dislike: judged things
Judged things are the worst. Bah.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
Ice Dancing, when done right, can be surprisingly alluring and sexy. Who cares who wins or loses?

The Downhill has a purity almost unmatched in sport. Everybody has one chance. Fastest to the bottom wins. There's only one strategy - tread that knife-edge between control and chaos.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
il sogno said:
Love downhill skiing, biathlon, ski jumping (those guys must be crazy!)

Don't really care for the judged stuff - Ice dancing (the "kiss and cry" coverage is the most entertaining part for me), snowboarding, trick skiing, moguls (makes my knees hurt just watching).
Biathlon is one of my favorites, intense and incredibly difficult thing to do.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I love curling. It's the only Olympic sport where I can honestly say that I am in good enough shape to compete. I'd like it even better if the stones would explode if they hit too hard.

How come barrel jumping never became an Olympic sport? I used to love watching that on TV when I was a kid. It hasn't been shown for decades.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
bigrider said:

I love downhill skiing, luge, biatholon, ice skate racing (love the short track ice derby stuff), bobsledding.

I don't really get into the figure skating, snowboarding, trick skiing, or the curling,
I'll agree with a sentiment stated by a few other posters, anything judged is wothless when viewed as a competitive event. That's not to say that there aren't other reasons to watch some of those event. (Who was the woman in the Canadian pairs team that was screwed by the judges last Olympics? She was hot.)

I also hate indoor "speed" skating. Let's face it, that's for the people who simply aren't fast enough to compete outside on the big rink.

I love hockey especially on the international ice surface. That's hockey the way is should be played. Anyone know if Sweden is planning on using the "torpedo" strategy that they employed last Olympics. Very interesting to watch. If they do use it, I hope they take the gold.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
What I hate.

What I hate the most about the Olympics is the fact that over the past few years it means Gloria Estefan music starts to make a comeback because of her stupid "Dream" song that gets played over Olympic Highlight packages. Personally, I think she is "no talent". My wife and I always start to hear more and more of her "music" when the Olympics start to come around.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
rogger said:
Biathlon is one of my favorites, intense and incredibly difficult thing to do.
Biathlon is religion here in Norway. Crazy how excited people are about it.

I always wonder why the US doesn't do as well in the winter...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Agree with "nothing judged".

Although I can't say that I hate to watch the women. Amazing legs and tushies;) Can't wait! Dick Buttons is commentating!:rolleyes: Anywho, I do love speed events such as downhill skiing, snowboarding, luge, bobsleds, etc. Never was much of a hockey fan;I'll skip most of that viewing. Curling?? Yawning???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts