Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm thinking of a nice location to escape the dreary, cold winters of northern Ohio so I can ride between Dec. and April. Not looking to relocate full time, only a place to spend a few winter months. Thinking about:

1. Knoxville, TN
2. Chattanooga, TN
3. Hendersonville, NC
4. Greenville, SC
5. Other suggestions

What are the pluses or minuses of each location? Weather and local ride conditions are paramount. Also, any recommendations on other locations would be appreciated.

Would be most interested in a metro locations, near mountains and lakes with close access to medical facilities (don't need now but never know). Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Wi?.............................

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd say you need to go farther south....

Fayetteville, AR is actually quite nice. Since Walmart is there there is a ton of culture/money/civic development, etc. for such a small town. People are nice and there is a very nice regional airport, great metro-ish restaurants there since there is no shortage of expense accounts getting emptied in the area on a daily basis.

It's hillier than you think and there are some nice lakes in the area as well (seen them from the air).

I'm down there for business from time to time and have been there at all times during the year. While it does certainly get cold, according to the locals they rarely get snow.

Pretty affordable as well..

If you want more sun... you better head to Texas. *shrug*

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
funny to see peeps from Ohio complaining about winter....Move up here for a winter and Ohio WILL be down south!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Touch0Gray said:
Wi?.............................
Too damn cold. I could ride my rollers in the basement if I wanted to ride indoors.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weltyed said:
Basement
rollers
no better way to realize how blessed you are in the few months you can actually ride.
I ride rollers in the basement but I can't ride longer than 45 minutes. Just too boring. I enjoy riding out-doors.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FeydR said:
I'd say you need to go farther south....

Fayetteville, AR is actually quite nice. While it does certainly get cold, according to the locals they rarely get snow.
Cold is relative. If it's 45 degree or above and sun, it's riding time.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Touch0Gray said:
funny to see peeps from Ohio complaining about winter....Move up here for a winter and Ohio WILL be down south!
I never did aspire to be a Polar Bear.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
So set up the rollers in the garage

onlineflyer said:
I ride rollers in the basement but I can't ride longer than 45 minutes. Just too boring. I enjoy riding out-doors.
with the door open and watch the snow fly! Thats what I do. Anyways I take it you want sun and great riding conditions. Arizona, NM, TX hill country?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Wait a minute I gotta call BS here

Touch0Gray said:
You think because you're a little further north your winter is tougher? Try lake effect snow on for size. We get what you had the previous day.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ARP said:
with the door open and watch the snow fly! Thats what I do. Anyways I take it you want sun and great riding conditions. Arizona, NM, TX hill country?
I'm actually looking for something with 10 hours or so. Huntsville, AL also fits the criteria.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Like you said cold is relative, but I live about 2 hours from both Knoxville and Hendersonville and would definitely go farther south. Those two areas are going to have several days of rain and temps in the 40's.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
onlineflyer said:
I'm actually looking for something with 10 hours or so. Huntsville, AL also fits the criteria.
If you change your criteria to be 10hours by air, you possibilities vastly improve.

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
Man, you're really limiting yourself. If you really want to enjoy riding in the winter, definitely check out the southwest. Here in southern AZ (Tucson) I ride year round and 70 degrees in January kicks royal booty. We fit all of your other criteria, with the exception that you have to drive a bit for a decent lake, but we are surrounded by mountains and Mt. Lemmon is a fantastic climb (24 miles from base to top, about 6000 feet of elevation gain). As a former midwesterner, I heartily recommend this area.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Second this. I live in Northern New Mexico so actually have it fairly easy in the winter, compared to Ohio anyway. Still we get temps routinely below freezing and a fair amount of precipitation, so I head to southern AZ in March when I can't stand the cold or the trainer anymore. Tucson is awesome, lots of places to ride. Bring the road bike AND the mountain bike!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
onlineflyer said:
Okay, I'm thinking of a nice location to escape the dreary, cold winters of northern Ohio so I can ride between Dec. and April. Not looking to relocate full time, only a place to spend a few winter months. Thinking about:

1. Knoxville, TN
2. Chattanooga, TN
3. Hendersonville, NC
4. Greenville, SC
5. Other suggestions

What are the pluses or minuses of each location? Weather and local ride conditions are paramount. Also, any recommendations on other locations would be appreciated.

Would be most interested in a metro locations, near mountains and lakes with close access to medical facilities (don't need now but never know). Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Move where there's real winter and enjoy a different sport...

Boulder, CO,
Madison, Wisconsin

Or move to Seattle and learn to love 45 and drizzle for 4 months in a row.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts