Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Agreed that 5 days per week seems to be a good number. Why? No clue, but it works! :D

As wookie indicated, there is much to cycling/training.

You mentioned that you wanted a better base point. In which ways? What do you hope to accomplish? What do you plan on doing with this result?

A good training plan helps keep you fresh by doing specific workouts in regards to intensity, duration, length/type of interval, etc. Rest weeks are integrated to help avoid plateaus. The overall schedule allows you to be at your peak at certain times of year. I think your post indicates that you heard that cyclists take some time off to prevent overtraining.

Friel's book lays out a good general calendar and plan. I used it throughout the winter and beginning of spring, but got sidelined with weddin' planning and having to work lots of extra hours to pay for a @#$# new air conditioner and furnace. The previous year, I had done nothing but group rides and intervals. Despite a lack of riding this year, I felt a lot better during the races. My top end was nowhere where it needed to be, but I had much better endurance. I'll assume my top end could have also been good if I had been able to stick with the plan as intended.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Really, the hours, types of workouts, intenstity, etc., should correspond to the phase of training that you should be doing at that given time. The amount of time for the last week of base 3 really shouldn't be the same amount of time you're spending on a rest week, for example.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.