Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so it may be a bit early to worry about winter training but.... when I was younger i'd ride my bike pretty much year 'round. now that i'm getting back into biking for health/life, i'm sure I wont be riding in extreme weather. now, I have a high quality spinner bike in my bedroom but that's not really my preference. how do you guys train in the winter? what do you use? i'd like to dump my spinner and buy a nice gym quality stationary bike. please include pictures of your apparatus, if possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I absolutely can't ride outside, I use rollers. Got then cheap used from a friend. I hate it with a passion. It motivates me to suit up and hit the road.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Zwift on a 40 inch flat screen with a Kurt Kinetic trainer, aluminum framed bike with power meter. I have 2 fans and a single unit AC unit blowing on me doing workouts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bundle up or go to the gym. Riding indoors makes me wonder why I enjoy riding a bike. I ride for overall health and enjoyment so I don't worry about losing a few minutes come march.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
If you're going indoor trainer mode, and if you can afford the set up, go for the new Wahoo Kickr, and get a Zwift account, then put a large flat-screen television in front of you and a fan. Hopefully that'll be my setup this winter. Rear tire slippage on my Powerbeam is really pissing me off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
not much I hate more than trainer riding. it kills my confidence in my ability to put in time/miles. the kickr/zwift thing might be a way to make it less painful but I wouldn't invest in that unless I could actually put in an hour + on the setup and feel good about it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Trainer time you never feel good about, its the nature of the beast.

It is necessary evil for me now that daylight scarce. The longest trainer session i have ever done was 3 hours, when there was over 20 inches of snow on the ground. I think the diversity of apps and trainers out there can accommodate a wide variety of users.

If you have to spend a lot of time on the trainer or rollers and are looking to buy I would suggest in november when companies are releasing a lot of new tech.

Take a look at my threads, some good information.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Zwift, Zwift, Zwift.

Look into it and make it happen. You can use a very simple and cost effective setup or go all bonkers with huge screens and electronically controlled trainers.

Either way, it turns painful & tedious indoor riding into a more enjoyable experience. You can do structured workouts, casual group rides and even race in series. There are people on at all hours of the day and more events being added every week.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I much prefer donning windproof gear and cycling outside as long as possible. If it gets below 25F, I'll resort to using my trainer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Zwift on a 40 inch flat screen with a Kurt Kinetic trainer, aluminum framed bike with power meter. I have 2 fans and a single unit AC unit blowing on me doing workouts.
Very similar setup, but I haven't done Zwift yet. I use trainer road and put a movie/race on my other screen. I don't mind riding inside, once I get the routine down. the workouts are very focused, 60-75 minutes during the week. As long as the roads are clear, I'll ride outside on the weekend. Seeing the benefits the last two winters is motivation enough to suck it up.

I like that I can get my workouts in before my family wakes up or after the kids are in bed. I also add in more cross training during the winter. I'll go for some runs, do more plyo training, etc. Something I should do year round, but never actually get around to when it's nice out. I usually have a big, tough ride in May that I aim to do well in. That helps with the motivation, considerably. If I wasn't training in Feb/Mar, doing well in May would require a lot of catch up.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, this is exactly my setup, except I have Wahoo Kickr instead of the KK.

I'm currently using Zwift (mostly structured workouts), but may switch to trainer road or even try the new Sufferfest app when it comes out in late Oct.

I much prefer a good structured and focused indoor ride to trying to ride in inclement weather outside. I live North (western Washington state), and the winter is usually the trifecta of cold, wet, and dark. All of that adds up to miserable a far a I'm concerned.

I find it easy to jump on the trainer for an hour or two. I can watch a game or movie, set the trainer in ERG mode and set up a workout.

I just find it easy to get in a good structured and focused ride without the hassle of the rain gear, wet muddy bike, wet clothes, and cold, wet, miserable me.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
ok, so it may be a bit early to worry about winter training but.... when I was younger i'd ride my bike pretty much year 'round. now that i'm getting back into biking for health/life, i'm sure I wont be riding in extreme weather. now, I have a high quality spinner bike in my bedroom but that's not really my preference. how do you guys train in the winter? what do you use? i'd like to dump my spinner and buy a nice gym quality stationary bike. please include pictures of your apparatus, if possible.
Everyone his different, but I got though last winter using Zwift and the year before with TrainerRoad. I find it easier to do a shorter higher intensity workout than to just get on the trainer and ride. Before I invested a lot of money in an expesnive gym bike, I'd try to borrow someone's resistance trainer, set you bike up on it and try one of the software training programs. I really dont see what a gym bike adds

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is the Zwift thing worthwhile without a power meter? would an edge 25 with ant+ cadence and speed sensors improve the experience? how are hills managed with a 'dumb' trainer?

I have a Kurt Kinetic 'dumb' trainer. one thing I really dislike is the price you pay for even a little bit of coasting. and I can't see how hills in zwift would function with a dumb trainer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is the Zwift thing worthwhile without a power meter? would an edge 25 with ant+ cadence and speed sensors improve the experience? how are hills managed with a 'dumb' trainer?

I have a Kurt Kinetic 'dumb' trainer. one thing I really dislike is the price you pay for even a little bit of coasting. and I can't see how hills in zwift would function with a dumb trainer.

To answer your question as i have used a dumb trainer with zwift;

Zwift will calculate a power value based on trainer and speed at the rear wheel. The power value is inputed into the program algoritmn and translated into zwift speed.

You could essentially do the same rear wheel speed at about 15mph, which will be about 200 watts steady effort on a kurt kinetic. The 200 watts will inputed into the calculation and your speed would fluctuate on the screen.

At its inception a lot of riders do this, and to this day i see virtual power users on zwift. Zwift is more about a social interactivity with some game elements thrown in. Zwift has a try before you subscribe. I think its at 10 days now.

That being said it does give a good metric virtual watts based on a reliable power curve.

Trainerroad does basically the same thing but it doesn't have the pretty graphics that zwift does.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i'm getting back into biking for health/life ... how do you guys train in the winter?
I'm a little confused: if you're cycling for health/life, I wouldn't call that training. I'm going to assume that you're talking about cycling during the winter for enjoyment/exercise, not about training during the winter for spring races or similar.

Like many, I either wear the appropriate clothing and cycle outdoors, or I do something else (gym, skiing, skating, snowshoe, whatever). If you're cycling for enjoyment/health/exercise, then doing something other than cycling in the winter has the added benefit of keeping cycling fresh.

If I'm really desperate, I have a fluid trainer and I pop a video in the machine and watch it on a T.V. Unless you're training for races, IMO money is better spent on weather appropriate clothing and/or gear for a winter weather appropriate activity, rather than on a bunch of electronics designed to mitigate the unavoidable boredom associated with "cycling" on a stationary trainer.

-----------

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
When I absolutely can't ride outside, I use rollers.
Add in a sound system and a reading stand. You keep your fitness, build road skills (you can't ride rollers with a rough pedaling style), catch up on reading, and work your way through your music collection. Add in bicycle-specific yoga plus some core exercises and you've got a great way to stay in shape over the winter. Get out on the road when you can, but depending on where you live that might not be very often.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts