Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday started out nice enough. We had ridden 115 miles or so on Saturday with winds blowing 20-30 mph. It was our first longer ride this year so we slept in on Sunday and had a fairly lazy breakfast.

Then we headed out of town.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roads less traveled (by us anyway).

For whatever reason we avoided our usual routes out of town. That meant that we were going to ride on busier streets and roads than normal.

We took Wisconsin Avenue to River Road then Tuckerman Lane. About a million cars and us, all the cars were going way over the posted speed limits. Oh well, at least we were having an adventure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burbs.

We generally avoid riding in the suburbs, as drivers seem to be crazy there. Like this guy racing passing us as we were passing a deliveryman.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ugly country roads part 1.

Almost all of the snow in the area has melted off leaving a huge mess behind. The fields are muddy, the roads are full of potholes, trash is everywhere and the dead deer (hit by cars over and over again) are starting to rot. At least this deer was nicely salted, some good jerkey there.

Any snow left was just a pile of melting dirty crud on the side of the road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugly country roads part 2.

Normally I like to post pictures showing the natural beauty of the area. On this ride we decided to show the darker side of country riding. With the busted up roads and grafitti it isn’t pretty at all although the final shot of Miss M climbing into some nasty 25 mph winds does include a nice view of the Blue Ridge in the background.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now it really turns ugly.

We stopped for a bite to eat at mile 75 or so. Miss M said we were “Just going to cruise,” the last 35 miles home. Anyone that has ever ridden with her knows that cruising to her means cranking just as hard as you can. It was a hammer fest till dark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Nice photos.

I love to see pictures of people riding bikes. It looks like so much fun from your view. BTW, do you live in NC? I'm from Salisbury, NC........Justin :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Night riding.

It started to get dark with 15 miles to go. Even though the last few miles were nice the day wasn’t exactly what I needed; a windy 110 mile ride the day after a windy 115 mile day. On the other hand, as Miss M says we are getting in better shape for the long rides coming up as soon as the weather turns.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We live in DC.

Today we started from home near Georgetown and rode through Maryland, crossed into Virginia via Whites Ferry and took the W&OD trail back home.
 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
I rode on Saturday in the northeastern suburbs of DC (NE DC to BWI to Bowie and back to DC). It was a nice ride. The views of the warehouses, solid waste transfer stations, two racetracks (stronger smell than the dump) and two prisons are priceless. That wind killed me at about mile 60, though.
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
MB1 said:
We stopped for a bite to eat at mile 75 or so. Miss M said we were “Just going to cruise,” the last 35 miles home. Anyone that has ever ridden with her knows that cruising to her means cranking just as hard as you can. It was a hammer fest till dark.
Don't it figure? Passing some peds, and LOOKEE here! another cyclist! Probably no one else on the WOD for miles...

I do miss the DC area for certain things. I don't miss it for a bunch of other reasons.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
MB1 said:
It started to get dark with 15 miles to go. Even though the last few miles were nice the day wasn’t exactly what I needed; a windy 110 mile ride the day after a windy 115 mile day. On the other hand, as Miss M says we are getting in better shape for the long rides coming up as soon as the weather turns.
I love it! Two centurys in two days, and Miss M says this is just training! You guys are nuts!!!

Quick question: Your photos are great, most are obviously spontaneous shots while riding. Where do you carry your camera to make it so easy to access it? I keep mine in a zippered belt pouch and have to stop (or risk crashing) to get to it. I'd love to grab some quick ones while riding. Any advice?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carrying a camera.

I carry a butt pack about the size you see Miss M wearing in all those hundreds of shots. I leave about 4 inches of zipper undone and have the carrying strap of the camera hanging out.

When I think there might be a photo op coming out I pull the camera out-only if we aren't going too fast or I feel there is something a little dicey going on.

Most of the time all the photos in my ride reports are taken from the bike. For this report Miss M was getting into it so all the photos of bad road conditions were taken from off the bike-normally she won't slow down to satisfy my photo jones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
...or for a slightly lighter alternative...

...I use a Beetle Pocket from REI (on sale for about $14); it's perfectly sized for cameras like the Canon Powershots. There are two different strap options, so it can be attached to either a belt or, say, a CamelBak strap. I sometimes put it in the bottle cage and secure it with one of the straps. The top flap has a zipper, but there's also Velcro which will keep it securely closed while riding. I lash it to one of my CamelBak straps, and can fish out the camera on the move and then replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Camera and Other Stuff

MB1 said:
I carry a butt pack about the size you see Miss M wearing in all those hundreds of shots. I leave about 4 inches of zipper undone and have the carrying strap of the camera hanging out.

When I think there might be a photo op coming out I pull the camera out-only if we aren't going too fast or I feel there is something a little dicey going on.

Most of the time all the photos in my ride reports are taken from the bike. For this report Miss M was getting into it so all the photos of bad road conditions were taken from off the bike-normally she won't slow down to satisfy my photo jones.

I rode local Sat and Sun. It seemed more windy this past weekend than any other day this past winter. I think the winds came from a bunch of directions - I think at least 75% of the time I was affected by a severe headwind or crosswind.

But a few quick questions about your picture taking. What kind of camera do you use so that it is light enough to keep around your neck?

It looks like you are still on the bike, so do you just hold the camera out and shoot? You must have some great bike handling skills if you are using the display or viewfinder while moving! Regardless, the shots you post look remarkably good!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wrist strap, not neck strap.

I have gotten better with time but mostly I just wave the camera around and shoot whenever it seems to be pointing in the right direction. It is digital so I just delete anything that doesn't look good. I usually take about 50-60 photos and post 12 or so from each ride.

BTW did you want to try to get together some Sunday? This weekend is out but we ride every weekend without regard to the weather.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top