Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SF
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how much everyone's weight fluctuates between racing season and non-racing season. i'm up a good 10 lbs from where i was last fall and i'm starting to get a little concerned that i'm not going to be able to shed it in time. i'm training alot but also eating alot. do you elite guys have to watch what you eat, or can you just eat anything and everything you want? i think i might have to start "dieting" soon if i want to drop the 10. i hit the christmas cookies a little too hard this year. (btw, i'm about 5'8'' and up to about 150 from 138 last cx season.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
a little fluctuations

xccx said:
just wondering how much everyone's weight fluctuates between racing season and non-racing season. i'm up a good 10 lbs from where i was last fall and i'm starting to get a little concerned that i'm not going to be able to shed it in time. i'm training alot but also eating alot. do you elite guys have to watch what you eat, or can you just eat anything and everything you want? i think i might have to start "dieting" soon if i want to drop the 10. i hit the christmas cookies a little too hard this year. (btw, i'm about 5'8'' and up to about 150 from 138 last cx season.)
I was about 180 at the begining of cross season or late summer, the heaviest I've been.. But I started running more and got a gym membership around thanksgiving and I have been at about 170 or a little less since mid to end of cross season. I've been running a lot, 10mile trail run race in january and a 1/2 marathon just the weekend before last, ran a 1:28 faster then my time in 99' by 10minutes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I usually start gaining weight as cross season progresses on. Not what I want to do but I need a break from road season.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
CX season, this year- 136lbs
After holidays- 140lbs
February 1st- 133lbs (Barb was away, and I'm a lazy cook+ big hours getting ready for road season)
These days- 135lbs

I seriously eat as much as I possibly can all the time, and I made a real effort to put weight back on after seeing under 135. I'm racing at least 2 days a week right now and I want to be able to come into stage races at 136-137 so I don't get sick.

I don't eat meat, that's really my only dietary restriction.

For reference, the most I've ever weighed was a little over 150. During january I was on the bike about 20 hrs a week, and now that it's race time maybe 15 hrs a week.

·
Registered
809 Posts
3%-5% is normal

I race at about 163 and I'm currently 168 which is the heaviest I get. Every time I try to go below 160, I get sick. I try not to stress out about it because my coping mechanism is to eat everything in the house.

·
SF
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wunlap togo said:
CX season, this year- 136lbs
After holidays- 140lbs
February 1st- 133lbs (Barb was away, and I'm a lazy cook+ big hours getting ready for road season)
These days- 135lbs

I seriously eat as much as I possibly can all the time, and I made a real effort to put weight back on after seeing under 135. I'm racing at least 2 days a week right now and I want to be able to come into stage races at 136-137 so I don't get sick.

I don't eat meat, that's really my only dietary restriction.

For reference, the most I've ever weighed was a little over 150. During january I was on the bike about 20 hrs a week, and now that it's race time maybe 15 hrs a week.
if u dont mind me asking..how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
kajukembo said:
I race at about 163 and I'm currently 168 which is the heaviest I get. Every time I try to go below 160, I get sick. I try not to stress out about it because my coping mechanism is to eat everything in the house.
Boy, that sounds familiar. Weight has always been an issue with me. I played football at Alabama, from 1993-1997 (Roll Tide) and thus, built like a dam football player. Heaviest I've been since those days right now, and it ain't because I'm working out with the Tide. Right at 200 right now. Weighed 200 then, as scout team OLB. Weigh 200 now. Goal is 190 this year. Just that little amount would make a huge difference to me. I'm 6'0". Imagine Boonen with a little bit of an upper body. That's my build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts