Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter, despite daily cardio workouts in the gym mixed with bi-weekly weight training, I've been hovering at 5-10lbs above where I want to be (or rather, where I was at the peak of last season). This all started when I spent a few weeks abroad over Christmas and I decided to eat whatever I felt like. I generally have had trouble gaining muscle mass- I've never "worried" about my weight or what kind of shape I've been in... until very recently. I can't help but wonder if part of this is related to a drastic cut in caffeine intake, and certainly part of it is related to hitting my mid-30s, and to the possibility that I appear to be retaining more muscule mass. I'm not phobic about the issue, but this problem appears to be more stubborn than it ever has in the past. I've never restricted calories- in fact, I usually need to give them a huge boost in the summer to maintain my weight.

I think the bottom line is that I am concerned about a long-term change in my metabolism. Does anyone have any insights into this? Am I being paranoid? Does everything just snap back into shape when the snow melts ? Or do I need to take a different approach now that I'm no longer "just a kid?" Is this just a seasonal phenomenon? Not that losing 5lbs is that big of a deal, but in the past, this would happen by accident by now. Thoughts? Ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
same boat....

Although your '5lbs' is my '15lb'. I turn 36 next week and one thing I've noticed over the last 3 winters is a steady decrease in my ability to maintain my weight during the slow months. I think it's your metabolism slowing down. I'm a creature of habit. I usually take in the same amounts and types of food and if anything I've been more consistant with the rollers this year yet I'm 5 lbs heavier this year than last. same for the year before.

I've had to re-think my caloric intake along with plan an increase in activity to lose the extra.. Everything I eat I cut by 20%. Not really a huge amount but it really adds up. I've allreay lost 7 lbs since Jan 5th. Slow and steady.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I went a bit backwards - last summer I never reached my summer weight. While not a digital response (my weight had been slowly creeping up) I never achieved my regular 5-10 pound drop once Daylight Savings ended and my miles picked up. It was most surprising given the fact that I was riding more miles and hours than the past. Given that I didn't like it, I've changed the way I eat. No more deserts, no more of this and that. Hard transition to make, because up until my late 30s I was an "eat anything with impunity" kind of guy. Now, having just exited my 40s, it's clearly no longer the case.

Metabolism - who knows. I'd guess that was it. But, it seems to be a fact of life for me, and it's meant serious lifestyle changes. Having done them though, I've managed to corral my weight back to about what I weighed in college.

Yet another life transition. I guess if I was you, I'd be watching very closely as the winter wanes and see if the extra poundage is going to come off at all.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I get a little porky every winter. I actually start laying on a lb or two in late Aug when the days start to get shorter. I swear I think it's a biological thing. Then I eat like a pig between T-giving and new years, start to worry about being fat during January, get stuffed w/ chocolate and champagne at Valentines, fed a homemade birthday cake each by my Mom, husband, and co-workers on Feb 26th, and then try to diet down to a weight that allows me to be seen in a bikini by April.

Every year about this time I start to worry that this will be the year I can't get it off. Hasn't happened yet, and I'm 38. (I think next week I'm gonna beg my husband and Mom not to make a cake...but my co-workers would be VERY DISTURBED with me if I screwed them out of their peice of cake).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
5-10 pounds for me....

My weight fluctuates all year round. During the summer I'm putting in a lot more miles, burning off more carbs, and a lot of it is water weight. I can drop 3-5 pounds on a long ride. I weigh myself each morning and if I reach a certain weight, I cut back on my food intake until I drop the weight. I find when I'm not exercising I tend to eat more, putting in a lot of miles makes me thristy but my appetite goes down. My weight also fluctuates 2-3 pounds a day, they say you are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week, but I gotta weigh myself every day to keep my weight on check. I'm a Zoner (zoneperfect.com) but I fudge a little. If I go into a straight zone mode, I can get my weight under control in about a week.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Age my friend!

Having gone though this phase about 8 years ago I have researched the matter as best as possible. The male body produces a lot of human growth hormone. Unfortunately, its production declines gradually in your early 30s and often almost stops by the time you hit late 30s early 40s. Growth hormone benefits your body in a number of ways, basically producing insulin-like factors that controls your muscles, tissues and other body functions. The less you have of this hormone, the less lean muscle you have, the lower your libido, the more likely you are to get wrinkles (so they say), etc. This goes along with more fat being readily deposited in your body. Bottom line, exersize as you always have but make sure to watch your diet as well. Over are the good old times where you could have 5 beers and wings followed by a thick milk shake after every ride.
check out for example:
http://www.hgh-humangrowthhormone-anti-aging.com/index.html
"HGH also called somatropin, is produced in the anterior of the pituitary gland inside the brain. It is one of the most abundant hormones secreted. It influences the growth of cells, bones, muscles and organs throughout the body. Production peaks at adolescence when accelerated growth occurs. If growing children have too little they remain as dwarfs, while if they have too much they become giants"
There is an ongoing debate as to whether this condition resembles Menopause in men which has also been termed Andropause. There is companies and some doctors that champion the use of hormone therapy to combat it. This appears controversial currently.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I'm yet at "male menopause"- but it baffles me that there isn't more "male hormone replacement therapy" in existence. Despite all the doping, GWB blasting steroids, etc... there are all sorts of amazing benefits to various forms of steroids when used properly- politics aside.

I'm guessing with all the baby boomers starting to age, they *might* eventually be widely used. They are certainly no worse than all the crazy cosmetic surgeries that are performed... but I'm completely off-topic already.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wait until you hit 40 then the wheels really fall off the cart. I have found that the best way to keep weight off in the off season is to use the method my Grandpa taught me. It is called "the push back". All you need to do is push back from the table a little sooner.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Age..

gtscottie said:
Wait until you hit 40 then the wheels really fall off the cart. I have found that the best way to keep weight off in the off season is to use the method my Grandpa taught me. It is called "the push back". All you need to do is push back from the table a little sooner.
I'm probably one of the oldest guys on the forum, at age 61. I started packing on weight when I was in my mid-40's (43). Part of it was because I had pretty much destroyed my right heel from running . I asked my doctor once when I was getting a physical exam when I was 50 and he said that weight gain was the biggest complaint he had from his senior patients. He said your metabolism changes as you age and the result is weight gain. If I had ridden as much as I did when I was in my 30's and early 40's as I do now (there is an advantage to being retired) I would have weighed next to nothing. Back then I could eat or drink just about anything and not worry as I burned it off when I ran or cycled. When you get older, it does not work that way, unless you put in 300 mile weeks, year round.

The push-away from the dinner is right on. Just cut back on your food intake, especially food that is high in sugar (my flaw). You gotta watch what you eat.

I'd like to drop about 10-15 pounds. My daughter took my photo the other day with a polaroid camera and I taped it to our refrigerator. Now everytime I open the fridge I see the photo and shut it and walk away. That seems to work better than anything...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alright I know this one will most definetly encourage a barage of hostile responses but here goes... I've found that during the summer due to my heavy riding and swimming I put on several pounds of what feels like muscle mass all of which I quickly lose come winter. I've tried the indoor training but seems no matter how many hours I put on rollers, or how many damn laps I swim I just can't keep the mass. Feels like every spring I have to start over!! Some folks have reccomended some of that GNC bulking crap but honestly I am a bit weary of putting that into my body. This all being said I'm not as...wise as y'all, but aside from more training got any ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm amazed

by the wisdom found on this board. Maybe it's the age of the average member, but everything added in this thread is dead-on accurate. HGH starts decreasing in most men by the mid-thirties, thus the increase in weight and the other negative factors. I'm 41 and had the same discussion with a younger nephew when he hit 35. Up the exercise and decrease the binge eating. With a healthy diet and consistent riding, you'll lose the extra tonage in no time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I share your anxiety

filtersweep said:
I think the bottom line is that I am concerned about a long-term change in my metabolism. Does anyone have any insights into this? Am I being paranoid? Does everything just snap back into shape when the snow melts ? Or do I need to take a different approach now that I'm no longer "just a kid?" Is this just a seasonal phenomenon? Not that losing 5lbs is that big of a deal, but in the past, this would happen by accident by now. Thoughts? Ideas?
I'm 32 now and have noticed an inexorable upward creep in terms of weight. At present I am a fairly flabby feeling 12 1/2st / 80kg and would really like to get back down to 12st even. During the winter it is difficult to get out on the bike and watch what I'm shovelling down my throat, but it is getting harder and harder to "lose the lard" every new year.

Suggestions based around cutting the amount of food (rather than radically altering the types of food) that you eat seem to be the most sensible. I am a bit wary of starting up running again because it seems to do more damage than good. I did get up to a level where I could (and did) do half-marathons, but I noticed that it was my joints complaining at the end of the run rather than my muscles.

Training in the gym with weights has resulted in increased chest and arm mass, but no weight loss.

I reckon the best answer is cut back on the grub, drink loads of fluids to make you feel full all the time, and cycle like a demon as soon as the weather allows.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I usually add about 10lbs in the winter. Age has made the weight come off a little slower. After the holidays the food intake dwindles. Just gotta get off my butt and exercise.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Low Carb Diets (atkins, Miami Beach)

The consensus here so far is to simply eat less and excersize more as metabolism slows down with age (the reasons for the slow down established). My wife has been bugging me to join her in the Miami Beach diet but I've been hesitant. I don't feel like STARTING my rides in a bonking state. I think for us cyclists the only choice is the ELEM (eat less, excersixe more) diet. This, IMHO, seems healthier and the weight loss would seem to be longer lasting. I've had great success with it and will continue s my riding has not suffered a bit.

:D

·
Ironbutt
203 Posts
weight

I must be really lucky, I didn't begin to put on weight until I had a crash a year ago at age 55 and was off the bike for seven months. My wife gave me the best advice on weight loss and ultimate weight control: 1. Start eating only when you are hungry. Don't worry about what time it is, when other people eat, or anything else. Don't eat unless you're hungry. 2. Stop eating when you aren't hungry any more. Not when you're full, not when your plate is empty, just stop when you're not hungry any more. She speaks with the voice of wisdom and experience, and after 35 years I've learned to listen to her!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Amazing benefits of steroids?

Well, yeah, of course there are amazing benefits. That's why some athletes will take them regardless of the well known, serious detriments to their health in both the long and short term. There is no way to take them "properly" Sure you could be a little smarter about how and what you took, but the health risks are still there. Blaming politics for it is just being in denial.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Good advice. (Your wife is a sage!)

Ironbutt said:
I must be really lucky, I didn't begin to put on weight until I had a crash a year ago at age 55 and was off the bike for seven months. My wife gave me the best advice on weight loss and ultimate weight control: 1. Start eating only when you are hungry. Don't worry about what time it is, when other people eat, or anything else. Don't eat unless you're hungry. 2. Stop eating when you aren't hungry any more. Not when you're full, not when your plate is empty, just stop when you're not hungry any more. She speaks with the voice of wisdom and experience, and after 35 years I've learned to listen to her!
Few people realize this. They (especially women), want to go on a diet. Just cut back on the portions, eat smarter and healthier, and while I'm not an Atkins fan, it isn't a bad idea to cut out, or back on, the simple carbs, especially the refined variety (baked goods, etc.). I'm 44 (soon to be 45) and now about 8 lbs over what I was at peak season. The weight loss effort is in full attack mode now. I'll be down close to my ideal weight (180) come May or so.....

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Worrisome little cancer problem w/HGH, though

I've done a little research on that, too, and talked with a couple of ultra-distance cyclist/physician friends. They agree HGH can improve performance, but both said there's quite a bit of concern over side effects. One of the scariest is its possible effect on cancer rates. Cancer is cells growing out of control, and pumping yourself full of a growth stimulant at a time of life when you're increasingly prone to cancer anyway may not be a smart thing to do. There's not much research on long-term problems.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Just learn to speak Whale...

I'm about 20 years older than you, and until my mid-40s I had to stuff myself to stay over 200 pounds so I could compete in the Heavyweight classes around here (I'm 6'4"). Now I'm struggling to get down to 220, a weight I swore I'd never reach from the other direction. I eat no more than two-thirds as much as I used to, and spend as much time exercising as I ever did (mileage is down a bit, because I'm slower). I pay attention to nutrition, which I didn't used to do. But I've given up on the size 36 pants, and I'll be happy to get back into the 38s.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i agree with kram59. one of the things we forget as riders is how little energy your body really needs on a daily basis. you get used to eating huge amounts over the summer and don't realize that, when you aren't riding, you don't need so many calories. this is actually the first winter that i caught myself after i gained a few pounds in september and really focused on cutting calories by watching the <i>amount</i> of food i ate. my meals are all easily half of what i eat during the season and i am really careful about chocolate, cookies, etc. don't necessarily skip any foods that you like, just realize that you don't need to eat 1.5 lbs of pasta a day during the off-season!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts