Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Winter Weight

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  633 
5-10 pounds for me....

My weight fluctuates all year round. During the summer I'm putting in a lot more miles, burning off more carbs, and a lot of it is water weight. I can drop 3-5 pounds on a long ride. I weigh myself each morning and if I reach a certain weight, I cut back on my food intake until I drop the weight. I find when I'm not exercising I tend to eat more, putting in a lot of miles makes me thristy but my appetite goes down. My weight also fluctuates 2-3 pounds a day, they say you are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week, but I gotta weigh myself every day to keep my weight on check. I'm a Zoner (zoneperfect.com) but I fudge a little. If I go into a straight zone mode, I can get my weight under control in about a week.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings..

Age..

gtscottie said:
Wait until you hit 40 then the wheels really fall off the cart. I have found that the best way to keep weight off in the off season is to use the method my Grandpa taught me. It is called "the push back". All you need to do is push back from the table a little sooner.
I'm probably one of the oldest guys on the forum, at age 61. I started packing on weight when I was in my mid-40's (43). Part of it was because I had pretty much destroyed my right heel from running . I asked my doctor once when I was getting a physical exam when I was 50 and he said that weight gain was the biggest complaint he had from his senior patients. He said your metabolism changes as you age and the result is weight gain. If I had ridden as much as I did when I was in my 30's and early 40's as I do now (there is an advantage to being retired) I would have weighed next to nothing. Back then I could eat or drink just about anything and not worry as I burned it off when I ran or cycled. When you get older, it does not work that way, unless you put in 300 mile weeks, year round.

The push-away from the dinner is right on. Just cut back on your food intake, especially food that is high in sugar (my flaw). You gotta watch what you eat.

I'd like to drop about 10-15 pounds. My daughter took my photo the other day with a polaroid camera and I taped it to our refrigerator. Now everytime I open the fridge I see the photo and shut it and walk away. That seems to work better than anything...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.