Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have any wheel building projects planned for the winter? Now that cycling season is nearing an end, I'm planning on a couple.

·
What the what???
12,534 Posts
Wheel building is next on my list of wrenching skills to learn. I just have to get to a point where I’m financially comfortable enough to afford to screw it up a few times...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel building is next on my list of wrenching skills to learn. I just have to get to a point where I’m financially comfortable enough to afford to screw it up a few times...
If you want to learn wheel building, this is the first and most important $12 you should spend:

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Follow his directions to the letter and you are almost guaranteed success. It is really difficult to screw something up to the point of ruining components and wasting $$ unless you are really ham-fisted. It does require patience, but any screw ups will be noticed before you ruin something. Hint: Do all your own measurements - especially for ERD! Do NOT trust manufacture published measurements.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm modifying the wheel set for the winter that I previously built . Does that count?
Sure it counts. Do tell. Details!

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Building a set of wheels is something every bike perv should do. BUT -- you're not saving yourself any money, and you're not going to do as good of a job as someone who makes a living building wheels. The cost of the hubs, rims and spokes will be about equal to the cost of getting a custom builder to build you a set.

I've got several sets of wheel with White Industries hubs that I'd like to rebuild this winter if I can find the bearing cartridges at a reasonable price.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Building a set of wheels is something every bike perv should do. BUT -- you're not saving yourself any money, and you're not going to do as good of a job as someone who makes a living building wheels. The cost of the hubs, rims and spokes will be about equal to the cost of getting a custom builder to build you a set.

I've got several sets of wheel with White Industries hubs that I'd like to rebuild this winter if I can find the bearing cartridges at a reasonable price.
For sure this is a labor of love and you're not saving any money building your own. It's just the warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment and knowing exactly what happened.

Bearing cartridges on White Industries hubs? What happened to the originals? Normal wear or premature?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
you're not saving yourself any money, and you're not going to do as good of a job as someone who makes a living building wheels.
But diy-er can get close to it. At some point in quality scale, it's good enough for the commoners.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I wouldn't buy Ceramic Bearings either, a waste of $$$ to me. If you have questions about any of the bearings that Boca sells, either email or call and they will answer any questions you have.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Any knowledge regarding Enduro vs Daisy? I'm not buying ceramic bearings. Too expensive for what they are.
I've heard good things about Enduro. Never heard of Daisy.

I agree only suckers buy ceramic bearings for use on bikes. They're not jet engines.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've got 2 potential projects in the works. I just finished a set of mtb wheels; used the rims from a set of American Classic Wide Lightnings to build up with hubs and spokes I got from BHS. I needed to do this as my new mtb frame is a boost from and the old one was 142x12.

Now I have the old hubs which still seem to be in good shape so I'm trying to decide whether or not to sell them or build them up again to use on my CX bike. If I build with the AC hubs I'm going to go with the Kinlin TL23 rims.

I could also sell the hubs and start fresh with some Bitex hubs from BHS as well. Decisions.

After I do that build I'm considering using the DT Swiss straight pull hubs from the OEM wheels that came on my CX bike. I should mention that my CX bike is my only other bike so it serves road, gravel and CX duties. The wheels that came on the bike are DT Swiss R23's but I'd like to use the hubs to mate with some deeper and wider rims like the Hunt aero wide disc rims or similar. I did some research here on this forum about building with straight pull hubs and the feelings seem to be mixed. I've built 4 sets of wheels, all with J-bend spokes with no issues. They've all served me well so I feel like if it's not too much harder I could probably manage it.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK then, so here will be my next wheel build project:

Rims: HED Belgium +
Hubs: White Industries T11 - Color: Red
Spokes: DT Swiss Aero Comps - Color: Black
Nipples: DT Swiss Brass ProLock - Color: Silver

Lacing: 24 2X Front / 32 3X Rear

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
But diy-er can get close to it. At some point in quality scale, it's good enough for the commoners.
I've had custom wheels built for me from psimet and Pete's Wheels (he posts here). Both are way beyond what I could do myself. I can't remember the last time I even had to true a wheel. Perhaps you are a better diy-er than me. Its worth doing once or twice, but at this point in my life, with a PITA job, kids, and a 50 year old house that seems to be always falling apart, I have enough to do.

Here's some pics of a Merckx 01 Corsa with Pete's Wheels. I already have one, but it has a carbon fork and threadless headset. I went with 11-speed Athena rather than retro tube shifters (new components are better), but the rest of it fairly retro, down to the Campy Chorus 'aero' seat post. The wheels turned out awesome -- back from the days when bikes were beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
if you have lots of wheels, road and mtb, especially mtb, you should at least know how to true a wheel. Because mtb wheels, especially the rear, will go out of true if you ride them hard enough, I don't care if you use 32h, unless your landing is perfectly perpendicular to the ground every single time, you'll knock them out of true eventually. I haven't built any wheel (too much effort), but trueing a wheel is almost a necessity for me, else I'd be in LBS constantly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts