Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter time is a great time to ride fixed gear. The days are shorter and fixed riding gives you a great workout in a relatively short period of time. Below is my latest fixed project. I built it up yesterday.

Frame: IRO Angus- drilled for front brake only. Reynolds 631 tubing. If you want to run a rear brake, check out the Mark V

Wheels: Mavic CXP22 rims laced to formula track hubs

Drive train: FSA double cranks using a single 42T ring and short stack BMX chainring bolts. Dura Ace 16t track cog and lock ring

Brake: Front only- Chucks Bikes generic black caliper and Tetkro BMX red lever

Saddle: San Marco Regal- Richard Sachs red

Bar/Stem- Generic quill stem spray painted black. Bars are Specialized MTN bars cut down to about 44cm wide. Red BMX grips.

Total Cost: just shy of $600
Fun Factor: Priceless :cool: :cool:

If you are interested in fixed riding, stroll over to the Fixed Forum. I've recently added some resources(stickies at the top of the forum page) for fixed geared riding.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
According to UPS my WI Eno wheel should be here in the next couple of days. I'm slapping that on a Bianchi Boron frame and thus I'll be joining the fixed parade with a second uni-gear for this winter.

What your saying about the short rides is dead on. My job changed earlier in 06 and because of meetings with the other side of the world, most of my after work multi-hour riding disappeared. Instead, I turned all my evening spins into SS rides on the Gunnar I converted over the winter. There is nothing like a 1 hour ride climbing short hill after short hill in 42x16. That bike quickly got its hooks into me.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
You say this is a "winter" fixie and it has no fenders? :)

Mine is an '80's Basso road frame conversion. Did the same thing with spraypainting a quill stem black. Miche hubs on Velocity Aero 32-spoke rims.

Used the Aufmega crank that came with it and the 42-tooth chainring, ditched the 52 and used BMX bolts. 18-tooth EAI cog (lots of hills in Portland and Seattle).

EA70 bars I had lying around. Spd pedals, fizik pave saddle. Oh, and Campy Athena brakes, front and rear, because they are SO PRETTY but don't stop well enough for my regular road bikes. SKS full fenders.

G

·
Dave Hickey,

While I am still looking for a frame right now, I have that same set of wheels/hubs and was thinking about doing the same thing with a double crank only using a campy alloy double I have not being used. Did you have any issues with chainline or think the campy would have any issues that your FSA didn't?

I see your name on a lot of fixed stuff around here and I just started working on it so thought you would know better than me.

Great looking bike by the way. I like the Angus in white, I had only seen it black.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Let my know how you like the ENO hub. I have a couple of verticle dropout frames I'd like to convert. I have a carbon LOOK that would make a great 13 pound fixie
I like it enough to order a second one. The 1st one is on my Gunnar and I have about 500 miles on it. 15 fixed on one side, 16 freehub on the other. Brilliant design, very easy to set up and get proper chain tension. Much nicer than using a Singulator on v-dropout frames. If you want to try one out, consider Mean Todd at Webcyclery.com. He's built 4 or 5 flip/flop wheels for me now. Good builder, great customer service.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
terry b said:
According to UPS my WI Eno wheel should be here in the next couple of days. I'm slapping that on a Bianchi Boron frame and thus I'll be joining the fixed parade with a second uni-gear for this winter.

What your saying about the short rides is dead on. My job changed earlier in 06 and because of meetings with the other side of the world, most of my after work multi-hour riding disappeared. Instead, I turned all my evening spins into SS rides on the Gunnar I converted over the winter. There is nothing like a 1 hour ride climbing short hill after short hill in 42x16. That bike quickly got its hooks into me.

Bianchi boron????......that has been my dream frame for years..I want one so bad. Hmmmmm what size?.....what if you hate it.......hmmmmmmm?....keep me in mind.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Not man enough for a fixie, but I shook out the SS today

My goal was to have a bike I could ride anywhere and not have to care much about, so I took everything but the middle chainring off an old Trek tourer (620, from the mid-'80s I think) and spun on a spacer and BMX freewheel. It had semi-horizontal dropouts, which gave me just enough adjustment to get the chain tension right, and I put on some Zefal fenders I bought for my Atlantis but never mounted. Rode it for the first time in four or five months this weekend, just rambling around Yosemite Valley. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
what is winter?

70-80 today, freakin' glorious. Track was dry so I took my fixie there.

speaking of White Enos he also has a double fixie, two chain rings next to two cogs, one a city gear, one a mountain gear, both with the exact same chain length (as front ring looses teeth, rear gains) so you loosen the bolts, slip the chain from one drive line to the next, tighten and away you go. Freakin' brilliant.

oh and Masi had a nice Molteni-esque Street Fixie for around $800

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome! I like the look of the IRO and have been chasing a regal saddle like that for a while now. I have 5 bikes of which only one is fixed. I am very lucky though as my wife set me a limit of 7 bikes so my current project is a fixed/free cross bike. I can't wait till it's built its gonna be heaps of fun!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.