Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Just for something different. I have 4 fixed bikes. We'll see how long they last before I go to bullhorns or drops
Update. The flat bars didn't last long. I did 25 miles tonight and my hands were killing me. My bike is now sporting homemade bullhorns...:)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Please edit the title of the thread.

S/B "Is one of your fixies ready for winter?"

Where is the light? We have precious little winter daylight in CT.

Notice, no criticism of the bike. Your taste, as I've come to expect, is impeccable.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Checking in for Halloween: introducing Frankenbike

I got Hickey's goofy ass covered as far as thriftiness. However, Its more just an odd amalgam of leftover parts that made their way onto the table, found a home on a $15 thrift store bike, there was some kind of lightning strike and wha-lah... hide your eyes because the sucker is hideous, but is built for what I need it to... commuting the 20mi one way to work... and handling the hardpack pea gravel mut that we have. Gregg, please note the wise use of leftover RBR stickers..... :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, just checking in. Running 42x16... check out that fancy front chainring that I stole from my kid's bmx bike as he has moved down to a 40 for racing. Its drilled out and everything. Total price tag... $87. (mostly on those beast vittoris zaffiro tires).

Its built for a nuclear war, and looks like it.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
you are funny...

Dave Hickey said:
Funk...That is one great looking bike....You cannot beat that bike for the price...

My hat's off to you
Its the strategically placed RBR stickers that have you fooled. You are right about the price though!!!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
funknuggets said:
Its the strategically placed RBR stickers that have you fooled. You are right about the price though!!!
What can I say? I'm a sucker for fixies....That bike is textbook perfect...Fixies don't have to be new or have expensive parts...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
always ready

Is this ready enough?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Board Trackers

Any y'all northerners ride indoors during the winter? Back in the day they used to board track race, sorta like indoor track racing today. I was curious if anyone here rides a track? I like the single speeds and the bianchi is cool. I was wondering if there are any indoor riders and what the tracks were like. I would love to ride an old board style track on a vintage bike, it would be like shooting a worn leather basketball in an old gym.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Dammit Doug...

Fixed said:
Is this ready enough?
Go ahead, turn the camera around and post the pic that shows your celeste stable you freaking jerk...

No, Im just insanely jealous.

Good to see you posting in some other forums once in a while... or posting at all for that matter.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I will say one thing...

Dave Hickey said:
What can I say? I'm a sucker for fixies....That bike is textbook perfect...Fixies don't have to be new or have expensive parts...
Man, nothing like riding relatively nice stiff modern bikes with overbuilt carbon forks... then hopping on an early 80's steel fork with that kind of rake... whoa nelly. All that I can say is it AIN't stiff ... thats for sure. Going into hard turns leaves one a bit skittish. BUT it is actually kind of nice on the pea gravel MUT. Im amazed more people haven't posted, though.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
saddle?

Dave Hickey said:
I used Profile road bars. I flipped them over and cu off the ends with a Dremel tool. It took about 15 minutes.
What saddle is that? That would look good on my Milano; I hate the saddle that came with it -- way to squishy and wide. Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I used Profile road bars. I flipped them over and cu off the ends with a Dremel tool. It took about 15 minutes.
Gotcha - the bike looks great. I built up my old litespeed classic for this winter and I gotta say this thread is making me kind of wish I had built a fixie instead (would have been my first).

I was thinking you got yourself some aluminum pipe or something and torched and bent it yourself. I was picturing fancy special ergonomic bends and everything. None the less - respect for the ingenuity.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You got a lotta junk in your trunk there Doug.

:D

MB1
Happy about using the same joke twice in one day. :thumbsup:

BTW that looks READY!!!

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
pimpride said:
Any y'all northerners ride indoors during the winter? Back in the day they used to board track race, sorta like indoor track racing today. I was curious if anyone here rides a track? I like the single speeds and the bianchi is cool. I was wondering if there are any indoor riders and what the tracks were like. I would love to ride an old board style track on a vintage bike, it would be like shooting a worn leather basketball in an old gym.
That reminds me of something I heard on NPR a few weeks back and meant to post up. Probably old news now, but just in case:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6248497

And yes, my fixed gear is fully operational as of the time change:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77196

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.