Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a new frame built up with a slightly used 08 Record 10 speed group. The shop that is doing the build does not have the Campy replacement links in stock to re-connect my 10 speed Record chain. He told me he can use Wipperman links instead. Apparently, Wipperman makes a Campy 10 speed compatible chain/links. Does anyone out there have any experience using these Wipperman links or full chain with a Campy drivetrain? I would hate to do this kind of mix/match at this level if it is not going to be as strong or work as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used a Wipperman chain with my 07 REC/CHO group for 1400 miles without any problem. I then rotated in a KMC chain (X10SL Gold) for the next 1400. I have disconnected both using their own joining links plenty of times with no problem. I have not actually ridden a Campy 10-speed chain (since the Wipperman came on the bike), so I can't compare. I can say that both chains shift smoothly, run quietly, and have been trouble-free.

I have not used a 3rd party link with a Campy chain, so I can't speak to that situation specifically. IIRC plenty of folks on this forum have, and most with pretty good results despite the spacing of the Wipperman/KMC/SRAM links not matching the Campy chain links 100%. Search, or just scroll down the Campy forum and you should be able to find plenty of discussion.

The only issue I had with the Wipperman was 100% my own fault. I let it bathe in Simple Green :)nono: a definite no-no as I now know!) after removing it in the middle of last season. When it was that chain's "turn" again after having been rotated out for 1400 miles, it snapped within about 5 miles. But I am pretty sure that the same would have happened to any chain after the bath I gave it when it came off.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
You can connect a Campy UN 10spd chain with the SRAM 10spd Powerlock, it works perfectly. The Wippermann link that works best is the one stamped 10S1, they are not in production anymore but maybe your shop has some old stock of them. The link stamped 10speed will work but it has a lot of extra sideplate clearance.

Do a search for Campy 10 connector on this site and you'll find a ton of info.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've used Wippermann connector links w/ my Campy chains. Never had a problem. In fact, I'd recommend some type of connecting link. I've also heard the SRAM one works well w/ Campy

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The wipperman chain works perfectly, as does the quicklink on the campy chain. The sram quicklink also works well, but I can't get it to come apart again, so I abandoned using the sram q-link.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I used a Wipperman connecting link for years, probably 25000 miles. Then bought a new one, the 10S1 mentioned above, and snapped it after a few hundred miles. Bought another and snapped it a bit later. The SRAM link has worked well since (and I carry an extra in the pack now just in case). I use the links with the Campy chain. I think the UN chains work much smoother in the campy drivetrain and last longer than the wippermans. I'm a big guy and do a lot of sprinting, so YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts