Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Wippermann has a Shimano equivalent (6.05mm) 10 sp chain which mimics the Shimano HD7801 Super Narrow (6.1mm) chain. Rather than trying the new Campy Ultra Narrow chains (5.9mm) and suffer with chain tools etc, I was wanting to find out if any one has tried this narrower Wipperman Shimano 10sp chain with their Campy drivetrain? Thanks

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Haven't tried it, but...

my one experiment with the wipperman stainless chain for campy 10 left me unimpressed. Shifted OK but it was noisy.

I can't think of any reason that the slightly narrower shimano version wouldn't work, but I'd buy campy before any wipperman product, other than the connex link.

You don't need special tools to install a campy 10 chain. A good quality chain tool like those sold by Park will do the job. Just drape the chain over the BB shell to eliminate any tension on the chain, while installing the HD-L pin from the left side, per campy's instructions.

If anyone with a micrometer has the shimano wipperman, it would be nice to get the width across the inner plates, right around the pin hole. If it's not too wide, the shimano connex link may work on the campy ultra narrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts