Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a lot of bike computers. The first few were cheap wired models that worked fine. Generally I snapped the wire, the terminals corroded, the buttons got irreparably clogged with grit, or it was cheaper to replace the unit than to buy a new battery.

Then I had a few cheap wireless computers, and I always had problems with them. The most common problem was that the traffic sensors embedded in the road near traffic lights would cause interference and the computer would think I was traveling 75mph.

I figured it was because they were cheap, so bought a VDO, but it was just as unreliable.

Eventually, I switched back to the wired models. I had a Cateye which I really liked. Then I got a Strada Cadence, which I liked even better.

But now I have a fancy new bike, and I don't really want wires hanging all over it, so I've ordered the Strada Double wireless.

Here's the thing though, am I going to run into the same unreliability issues? Should I just get a wired unit and be done with it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought a Polar RCX 5 at the end of last year and used it over the winter for indoor exercise for which it worked pretty well because I was only using the heart rate monitor function.

Friday and Saturday I finally used it for the first time on my bike and there were things I liked and others I didn't. I was using the heart rate monitor, wireless speed sensor, and gps sensor.

Even though this was my first time out, I got a couple of "Speed Sensor Battery Low" warnings, then they went away. I also got a "Check GPS" warning while I was just riding down the street with an open view to the sky all around me, then it went away.

Wireless is great, but only when it works.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Get a garmin 500. No wires and you never have to worry. These are closing out right now and I've seen them as low as $180.

The gps works all the time and no fooling with wheel magnets or sensors, much cleaner look. Also If you have more than one bike you can switch between bikes much easier. Even comes with two holders for different bikes. Is realy nice that you can download into garmin connect and keep track of you total miles and performance long term.

I use regular speedo's both wired and wireless for 20 years and would never go back.

I've owned a lot of bike computers. The first few were cheap wired models that worked fine. Generally I snapped the wire, the terminals corroded, the buttons got irreparably clogged with grit, or it was cheaper to replace the unit than to buy a new battery.

Then I had a few cheap wireless computers, and I always had problems with them. The most common problem was that the traffic sensors embedded in the road near traffic lights would cause interference and the computer would think I was traveling 75mph.

I figured it was because they were cheap, so bought a VDO, but it was just as unreliable.

Eventually, I switched back to the wired models. I had a Cateye which I really liked. Then I got a Strada Cadence, which I liked even better.

But now I have a fancy new bike, and I don't really want wires hanging all over it, so I've ordered the Strada Double wireless.

Here's the thing though, am I going to run into the same unreliability issues? Should I just get a wired unit and be done with it?

·
Registered
335 Posts
+1 on the Garmin. If you do any tracking of your cycling activity the uploading feature is very handy. Includes multiple mounts to move among different bikes which was also key or me.

No issues with trafic sensors reporting speed spikes either, but would not mind seeing 75 mph!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the Garmin with the cadence on Amazon for over $300. That's still quite a bit more than the $75 the Double Wireless costs.

I'm also toying with the idea of just using my iPhone. I could get a bluetooth cadence for $50, and then a bracket to mount it for $20.

I've also thought about adding GPS to an iPod Touch, and using that.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
Cateye Micro wireless. It doesn't do cadence or gps, but as long as the batteries are good it works (you need to change the batteries twice a year). I have a bunch of them, they used to be less than $35 on ebay. They last a LONG time, over 8 years so far. I can't say the same about my Garmin...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just foget the extra stuff to monitor wheel speed and cadence and use the straight bare Garmin 500. Much simpler and no wires to deal with. Also you can get elevation, speed, and have your route all mapped when you get done. You can also check your speed in various sections. Also if you want to put on a chest strap it will sense your heart beat also.

The things amazing for now under $200.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I just got a Garmin 500 with cadence and it is sooooooooo easy to set up. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on the traffic sensors.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Get a garmin 500 somewhere on close out and do Strava. Then, you can be a starva S_L_U_T like the rest of us. Never a rest day. Always going for PRs. If you see someone ahead of you, they are taking your KOM..............catch them now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Used many wireless units for many years. Got a Garmin 500 a couple of years ago.

I like the Garmin. The download and ride profile etc is really a nice feature to track your stuff. No magnets, no fork mount sensors just click it on and viola!

I have one Garmin and it gets used on all my bikes. Been really reliable through rain, mud, freezing and hot temps. So far so good for me. Just some slight condensation inside from time to time if the weather is bad.

Just remember to charge it between use.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like the cadence feature. I use my iPhone from Strava, and I keep it in the pocket of my jersey.

What if I got a used iPhone without service, maybe a Bad ESN one, off of eBay, and then just got a bluetooth cadence sensor to go with it?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Perhaps 80% of the people I ride with, use a Garmin 500. I've never experienced a traffic sensor interference.

There's not enough new "features" in a Garmin 510 to interest me, I wouldnt hesitate to get a closeout Garmin 500.

Backcountry.com has 20% off sale going for a few more days. The 'regular' $250 priced Garmin 500 would be $200, free shipping, no sales tax collection (except in Utah), and very liberal return policy.
Garmin Edge 500 GPS | Backcountry.com

But if you think you might one day want a heart rate strap, it's usually more cost effective to shop for a Garmin "bundle" kit rather than buy the HR strap separate.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I really like the cadence feature. I use my iPhone from Strava, and I keep it in the pocket of my jersey.

What if I got a used iPhone without service, maybe a Bad ESN one, off of eBay, and then just got a bluetooth cadence sensor to go with it?
The iPhone battery won't last, it's clunky and less accurate. I have to agree with the others...buy a Garmin. You'll love it.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
Oh I forgot.... Rule #74.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.