Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get issued a laptop for work. As a savage nail pounder, this is out of my area of expertise, so I come to you folk for guidance.

Who has the best wireless card, including dollars for service, quality of service, whatever relevant metric you choose?

They asked me to check on this, and I don't know jack shoot about it.

beets, pie, wtfbbqetc.

thanks ever so much.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Is this an internal card that will use a cellular network for data, or are you talking about an internal wifi card?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Probably Verizon.. The MiFi is your best bet...

All of the mobile carriers have them and I would guess that it would prolly be cheaper to get one through whatever cell service you have.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Most smartphones can "tether" - you either use a usb cable, or bluetooth ( I use the cable ) and the smartphone is your internet connection. Speeds and costs vary. Downside, you can't talk on your phone while surfing. Upside, you don't have to pay for 2 data plans (phone + laptop).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Which wireless providers have the best data signal in the area you will working? That is the provider you want to go with.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We aren't sophisticated enough for smart phones.

I think the card plugs into a slot in the outside of the laptop.

I'm sure it is a low-tech, old worn-out laptop that runs on gas or something.

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
If you're not going with a carrier you already have, then I would choose the carrier based on coverage of your area of operation. Picking the actual cell modem is easy after that.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
FWIW, at home I am on the Virgin Mobile 40 dollar a month unlimited plan. No data limits, no contracts, you pay by the month. I have the "MIFI" wireless router, and it's really quite nice. It's my exclusive interweb connection at home. Latency sucks, but that's to be expected. Speeds are 1.5/.5 most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts