Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable is your wireless computer? Do you ever experience dropouts, i.e., the speed reads zero for a period of time while riding? How often do you experience any dropouts and do you experience other problems too?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
Bacco said:
How reliable is your wireless computer? Do you ever experience dropouts, i.e., the speed reads zero for a period of time while riding? How often do you experience any dropouts and do you experience other problems too?
The only signal drops I get are with my HRM, and only then near electrical substations. Never lose teh speed.

· Registered
332 Posts
My Planet Bike Protege 9.0 occasionally read insane speeds like 97.5 mph for a split second. It's happened maybe twice, but not recently. If it reads 0, it's usually at the beginning or before I start my ride, so I just check the sensor (sometimes wiggles away from the magnet) and adjust it, and it's good to go.

· Registered
40 Posts
A few problems

My Cateye used to give me insane readings from time to time also. I always assumed I was passing an invisible fence or something like that because it always happened at the same place in my rides.

Wasn't really a big deal, but when I accidentally broke the sensor off the fork, I decided to go back to a wired computer -- the Cateye Velo 8. Only $29 at my LBS.

· Registered
9,452 Posts
My Polar will lose the speedometer function whenever I ride past a local lumber yard. I'm thinkin' that there's some kinda alarm system going on. Occasionally a passing car will also stop it. Maybe some sort of electronic ignition thing.
Also, if I don't moisten the chest strap on my HR moniter before starting my ride it's gonna be reading a HR of about 220 until I get a sweat going.

· Registered
906 Posts
velodog said:
My Polar will lose the speedometer function whenever I ride past a local lumber yard. I'm thinkin' that there's some kinda alarm system going on. Occasionally a passing car will also stop it. Maybe some sort of electronic ignition thing.
Also, if I don't moisten the chest strap on my HR moniter before starting my ride it's gonna be reading a HR of about 220 until I get a sweat going.
My polar will do the same thing with HR at the start of rides. The speed function also cuts out at seemingly random times, but only for ~30 seconds or so at max.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
I have a couple of the Trek Incite 8i's. There's one place on PCH in Newport Beach where I'll get an insane speed readout (80+mph) for a second or two. That also happened once pushing the bike through some automatic opening doors.

And my old Sigma Sport heart monitor would read "0" every time I rode by this Fire Station.

Go figure.

· Registered
984 Posts
I have a VDO C3 that has to be resynched when I get too close to a radar station. This morning I had to resynch it 4 times because I got within 1/4 mile of the radar aproach station to runway 13 right to DFW. I am planning to replace the VDO unit with the new Cateye V3.

· Folsom City Blues...
7,423 Posts
brianmcg said:
I have a cateye micro wireless. I love it. No problems what-so-ever.
+1 I also have a careye mircro wireless and I love it too, with not one single issue in over two years...

Peace :cool:

· Registered
139 Posts
I was just searching this exact question on the forums. I have a Cateye CD-300 double wireless (speed, cadence). I have lost the speedometer for a period of two days after a cleaning. It came back the last time so I have my fingers crossed, but it is a pain. I thought maybe intereference but have tried it in several locations.

PS I have called and emailed cateye support to no avail, not one response.

· Banned
519 Posts
Never ride a wireless in the rain, with a HR monitor, with other people riding wireless devices, etc. One day mysteriously, it will stop working accurately and you will get super-fast speed readings or super-slow speed readings. Sometimes, you're riding along and then,,, it just goes blank. You've entered a dead zone.

· Registered
373 Posts
axebiker said:
My Polar goes apeshit whenever I ride by the Minneapolis Int'l Airport... I haven't ridden 72 mph in quite a while.
The only problem I have with my Polar cs100 is after 2 years, it now loses the right edge of the right numeral on the display if I ride in sunlight and the temperature is above about 80 degrees F. The hotter it is, the quicker this happens. Time to get a new one. However, all wireless functions, (speed/distance, HR, cadence) work flawlessly except for the rare occassion if I am going under or near super high tension lines. It is worth it to not have wiring draped over my bike.

· Registered
534 Posts
I have a dB-4lw, the cheapo thing from performance and it does very well, no dropouts. I have it on my mountain bike, where it makes sense to have wiresless. I just don't see the point on a bike with no suspension, its another battery to replace, for what gain?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.