Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ancient Vetta computer kicked it the other day and I need to get a new one. The thing is I really hate the look of all that wire twisted around my brake cable, so I'm thinking wireless is the way to go.

The problem is if it were that easy, everybody'd be going wireless. What are the drawbacks? Do they still work when riding in paceline or is there interference? Is it really hard to set up? What models work best? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Polar S510 which has wireless speed, cadence and Heart rate. I wouldn't recommend it. It was picky to setup, the magnet and pickup placement had to be very precise. I also get interference between the HR and speed sensor. At speeds over 40KM/hr especially on downhills it indicates my heart rate as being over 200 bpm.
I've always liked Cateye's, but have never tried their wireless products.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I was looking through the reviews at all the cordless models. The Cateye wireless 7 seemed to be getting bad reviews, but it seems as though the Micro Wireless did well.

Do you find it to be significantly bulkier/heavier than the corded models and did you have to set up the transmitter super close to the wheel? Also, does it stay in place?

·
Registered
98 Posts
batteries, batteries, batteries...

I've gone wireless since the start on my MTB because I figured when you stack on your MTB, there's a good chance of the wire(s) getting ripped off of the computer/ sensor. Then I went wireless with my roadie because I'm a nut when it comes to aesthetics. But then I was in the middle of a century and all of a sudden my computer stopped counting. What you have to remember is that there are batteries everywhere- on my Sigma there is one in the sensor on the fork, one in the receiver, and one in the readout itself. So that's three lithium batteries (about $3. each) that you have to make sure are all good. And any single one can die at any given time. If you want to go wireless, I would suggest replacing the batteries every 6 months or so whether they need it or not- sort of like a smoke alarm. As for set-up, it's not brain surgery, but you might have to go buy a $15 wheel magnet if you have bladed spokes or modify the one that came with the computer (as was the case for my Sigma). And not that I'm a pro, but I finally figured out why you do see a lot of pros ride with that unsightly coil of wire going down the front of their bike- 99% reliability.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Micro wireless

I had the cordless 7 and I hated it. I could never get it calibrated right and would just stop for no reason. I replaced it with a Cateye Mity 8 and like it. I saw the micro wireless and had a gift certificate to a bike shop so I got on to tryand it has been a very good purchase. As good as the corded mity and also about the same head size too. As far as weight goes, in my hands they feel about the same. The Micro has a larger transmitter but the Mity has a cord so as far as weight I would say that they are about the same. I have it installed on a pair of Kestrl EMS Pro SL carbon bars and it stays put. It also has a stem mount if you are so inclined.

Go for it you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use a Polar 625x but also run a Sigma Sport BC1200 hard wired. The Sigma is super reliable, very light (about 35g for entire assembly), easy to read and batteries last forever. Why run both? I want the functions on the Polar, but once you run them both you find that the Polar is not always 100% accurate when it comes to the speed and distance. In addition I have become a bit addicted to keeping the Polar at the Cadence function in the main view with Total Ascent at the top view (HR is always visible). I then have the Sigma going with Speed and either total distance or stopwatch. It gives me everything I need and I never have to push buttons to see what I want. I managed to set up the sensors for both in what I think is a pretty clean installation. I have two road bikes set up this way.

On another note I use the Cateye micro wireless on my MTB and find it a pain. Sucks up batteries and at least for me seems to be too sensitive to the sensor magnet alignment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a wireless Vetta on my mountain bike that I've never had trouble with. I just switched out a wired cat-eye on my road bike for a wireless Shimano flight deck. So far so good on the flight deck but it's way to early for me to give an opinion on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shimano Wireless 10 Speed Flight Deck

I purchased one of these during my bike rebuild for the same reasons that you stated...I hated the look of all those wires. If you have a shimano group, I would definitely recommend this bike computer. It has all the standard functions, but the one function that is the best IMHO is the graphic display of which gear you are in. I know it sounds like a small thing, but imagine never having to look back at your cassette to see which gear you are in...you just glance at the flight deck..it tells both chain ring and cassette position. I didn't really notice it that much until I rode a bike without it. It really is a nice feature. I guess its all about the details. The buttons to operate the computer are also on the brake hoods (hence, it will only work with shimano components), so you never have to take your hands off the brake hoods to scroll through the screens. Only draw back is that they are quite expensive (150.00 USD) and do not have heart rate monitior capability. Other than that, I have approximately 2500 miles on it without a problem.

Sincerely

Tony

·
Almost Not a Newbie
74 Posts
dontimberline said:
Thanks - I was looking through the reviews at all the cordless models. The Cateye wireless 7 seemed to be getting bad reviews, but it seems as though the Micro Wireless did well.

I own and use both the 7 and the Micro, and they both work well. Lousy instruction manuals and difficult to program, but maybe that's me. No cadence meter, but I can do w/o that. There's one spot on my group's 30-mile ride, under six hi-tension towers, where the computers zero for about 1/8 mile. It's the only place where either of them has ever missed a beat.

I'd go with the one that's on sale.

·
Registered
361 Posts
cateye double wireless...

i got my cateye double wireless about 6 months ago and i've yet to have any problems (knock on wood). no interference problems in paceline, the readings seem accurate (i've tested by comparing it to other computers, known distances, etc). the only pain was initially mounting the speed/sensor device on my fat chainstays. but, once it's on there it's good to go!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with rgr692. I really like my flight deck.

When I first started playing with it I thought the current gear display was stupid. Now I use it quite a bit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had a Mavic Wintech with cadence for over a year and 5,000 miles .. it is great ... no problems with reliable readings, battery life etc. Only problem is when walking across bridges I can't get it to stop registering and it throws off all my stats (ave mph, etc.). I haven't found a way to prevent this. I would highly recommend the Mavic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.