Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have just installed a computer and wired the cable down the sloping bar securing it with three zip binds, one at each end and one in the middle. I have also run some electric tape to secure the cable to the Bar between the binds. However, i am thinking of something more secure and better looking than flimsy ugly electric tape. Has anyone done anything like that? would the double sided waterproof adhessive tape (e.g. 3M) do the job? any better ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Hi
I have just installed a computer and wired the cable down the sloping bar securing it with three zip binds, one at each end and one in the middle. I have also run some electric tape to secure the cable to the Bar between the binds. However, i am thinking of something more secure and better looking than flimsy ugly electric tape. Has anyone done anything like that? would the double sided waterproof adhessive tape (e.g. 3M) do the job? any better ideas?

thanks
3M makes a transparent paint protection tape (or it might be called repair tape, I forget) that I found in my local auto parts store. It comes in a 1" wide roll. I use it to tape the wire to the underside of the down tube and under the bottom bracket shell, which hides the wire very well. The tape holds fairly well but it could be more flexible and a bit more sticky. The advantage of it is that you can take it off without damaging the paint. I replace the stuff under the bb shell every few months. It gets a lot of sand underneath it but it does seem to stay on well enough and protect the wire. I could probably get a better seal if I bothered to trim the tape a bit so that it conforms better to the curve of the shell.

The tape is useful stuff on a bike. It should also work well as a chainstay protector. I also am using it to cover an area of my top tube that got chipped down to the bare steel until I can do a proper touch-up job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.