1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dare: 100K - Elevation gain of 6,064 ft.
The Double Dare: 200K - Elevation gain of 12,923 ft.
The Triple Dare: 300K - Elevation gain of 18,946 ft. OUCH!
Introducing the Dairyland Dare!

The Dairyland Dare was designed to be true test of cycling endurance and one that you will thoroughly enjoy! Inspired by the early season epic, The Horribly Hilly Hundreds, this event brings a late season challenge to the cycling calendar. Beyond the challenge of extremely hilly roads, the routes were conceived with the goal of creating an exceptionally beautiful ride that encounters as little automobile traffic as possible.

300K! Are you nuts?
Yes and No. See the website for more thoughts on this topic.

Are the 100K and 200K harder than the HHH?
Yes and No. If you go strictly by the numbers - Yes. The 100K has 6,064 feet of climbing as compared to 5,700 feet on the HHH route. The 200K has 12,923 feet as compared to 10,700 feet on the HHH. But that's not the end of the story... The HHH is an EARLY season ride giving only limited opportunity for training. Also, nothing compares to climbing the notorious Mounds Park Rd (twice). I'm currently training for the HHH 200K and in my mind, it's a toss up. Given two extra months of training, I think that the Dairyland Dare 100K and 200K options will offer a very similar physical challenge. I envision both routes as great late season goals for those who participate in the HHH or those who missed the registration due to the enormous demand.

More info at http://www.dairylanddare.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doing the dare!!

I am taking the challenge and signed up for the 300K. Why not go for broke? I hear the riding out there is BEAUTIFUL. (not to mention hilly) Anyone else taking the dare? Just need to drop some poundage off my flab of steel:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Double Dare is Enough

Doing 200k at HHH so I'll compare the 200k at DDD (Dairyland Double Dare).

The organizers are now saying the 300k route is more like 21,000 feet of climbing! There is a 266k option that gets you to the 18,000 ft neighborhood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just posted the new printer friendly maps and cue sheets for the 100K, 200K, 266K and 300K routes.

They're right here:
http://www.dairylanddare.com/route_300.asp

Also we now have a cool promo poster:
http://www.dairylanddare.com/images/WDDflyer.pdf

I could use some help getting the word out in areas outside Madison. Would you be so kind as to print a copy or two and post them where insane cyclists are likely to see them? The pdf prints nicely on 11x17 on a color laser or inkjet! Or you can just print a copy for your office wall to taunt you for the next few months!

Route profiles will be coming soon. Check back at www.dairylanddare.com for updates.

Ride on,
-Stew

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not so much ...

paluc52 said:
Doing 200k at HHH so I'll compare the 200k at DDD (Dairyland Double Dare).

The organizers are now saying the 300k route is more like 21,000 feet of climbing! There is a 266k option that gets you to the 18,000 ft neighborhood.

Yes, well... I did the 200k HHH yesterday and I now reserve the right to do only the 100k Dare (and/or drop cycling altogether, sell my bike and update my home theater).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts