Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would give Garmin two GC guys and would be the only way they'd likely be able to be in the GC given that Astana will likely be back for 2009 and Mick Rogers should be in Columbia's 2009 team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I don't even know what Evan's contract status is - and he doesn't seem likely to move. I don't get Cunego though? American teams seem to want the TdF, not the Giro or Vuelta.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
AJL said:
Yeah, I don't even know what Evan's contract status is - and he doesn't seem likely to move. I don't get Cunego though? American teams seem to want the TdF, not the Giro or Vuelta.
He's still young, already has some great wins, has great talent, and has recently started to become outspoken against doping. See, good fit? :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Einstruzende said:
He's still young, already has some great wins, has great talent, and has recently started to become outspoken against doping. See, good fit? :D
+1. With the way that Evans continually throws his team under the bus after he can't come up with the goods (not that he wasn't at a big disadvantage against the likes of CSC), I can't see him fitting in well at Garmin. Christian is a class act, and he let his riding do the talking without making excuses. I'd like to see Cunego make the move too as it would be a way to get a "fresh start" and get some new motivation. Vaughters seems to be very good at motivating his riders and Cunego could excel in that kind of an environment. Kudos to Garmin on a great Tour showing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Cunego...

Einstruzende said:
Ok, good point! Is his contract ending this year?

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
AJL said:
Ok, good point! Is his contract ending this year?
2009. Pretty sure Cunego is contracted through 2009 with Lampre.

And speaking of bad-mouthing his team, maybe (hopefully) Tommy D & Garmin will part ways at the end of the year, giving JV another spot on the team. I noticed that he poached the website garmin-chipotle.com, which sends you to his site. Classy guy, that Tommy D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jorgy said:
2009. Pretty sure Cunego is contracted through 2009 with Lampre.

And speaking of bad-mouthing his team, maybe (hopefully) Tommy D & Garmin will part ways at the end of the year, giving JV another spot on the team. I noticed that he poached the website garmin-chipotle.com, which sends you to his site. Classy guy, that Tommy D.
Oh well, maybe next year then. Yeah, if JV can't get anything out of TD, then I think he'll be retiring on a US domestic team.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Okokok wait just a minute.

Evans helping out VdV? Hmm... Then can VdV actually draft Evans or would Evans end up sucking (wheels) instead? Now that would be bad won't it and as nice a guy as Christian might be, he'd be bound to sock him during the stage perhaps. Or jam a stick through his spoke.

Slipstream, err, Garmin (damn Garmin) has a strong team with Millar and Zabriskie able to pull ala Voigt and Cancellera. Trent Lowe will get better. They could perhaps sign hmm, err, erm, well, Kohl? If they do, it'd be good enough I reckon.

Cadel - they can sign him and should actually. They do need someone to carry the bags and biatch about the event staff not offering support now right? No? Ok then.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
weltyed said:
evans is the terrell owens of cycling.
Um, I think that is supposed to be pronounced "terrell".

I don't think Garmin needs Evans and putting Evans and Vdv on the same team would accomplish little. Vdv doesn't need Evans. He wouldn't have finished higher working for Evans. Most importantly, Vdv seems to be they type that can rally a team into a sum greater than its parts.

On the other hand, I suspect that Mr. Personality will always be on the "wrong" team.

Would combining the top 9 finishers from this year would add up to the ultimate time for 2009? :idea: Even if someone could afford to sign them all, no.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Garmin has a young team. Vdv is finishing 5th overall and will likely be a major contender for any of the races next year. Garmin does not need an Evans, they need more people to support Christian next year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The more I think about it, the more Horner sounds like a good fit. Yes he's older, and maybe not available, but what VDV really lacked this year was mountain support. I suppose Lowe and Ryder will get better, but they still need a lot more experience.

Don't forget that VDV will be 33 at the next tour, so Garmin also need to start either grooming a GC guy(Stetina), or go get a somewhat younger one. A. Schelck may have wrote his check with Saxo for the rest of his career, F. Schleck maybe since his brother is the future at Saxo, Cunego seems like a great fit. Any other guesses?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Garmin are putting alot of faith in Trent Lowe. He will be the next GC contender after VdV. Trent was the first signing on Garmin - before VdV, Millar etc That's how much they believe in him.

I just hope he's upto it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
haydos said:
Garmin are putting alot of faith in Trent Lowe. He will be the next GC contender after VdV. Trent was the first signing on Garmin - before VdV, Millar etc That's how much they believe in him.

I just hope he's upto it. Fingers crossed.
It's really hard to see him as a grand tour rider. Him having such a small climbers frame dosen't suit well to ITT or some of the long brutal flat stages. If you look back at this tour you'll see he lost time just about everywhere, but it was the time lost on the flat stages and ITT's that concern me. If anything he's 3-5 years off (said so himself on velonews) from being any type of GC rider. I think even if the tour of georgia would have had an ITT this year he would've been out of the top 10 overall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.