Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it got me thinkin to try eggbeaters. i currently use cheap spd-style pedals with mountain shoes for walkin around. i also use my fixie for up to 40 mile rides (ive only been fixed about a month). i had my first pedal strike today, and from what i read pedalstrike+eggbeater=disengagement. is this something i should be overly concerned about?

part of me says, "stick with whats workin, fool." but the other side says, "those eggbeaters would look sweet on that converted fixie. plus you could always put them on your mtb or singlespeed."
pros/cons of headin this route?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
weltyed said:
...it got me thinkin to try eggbeaters. i currently use cheap spd-style pedals with mountain shoes for walkin around. i also use my fixie for up to 40 mile rides (ive only been fixed about a month). i had my first pedal strike today, and from what i read pedalstrike+eggbeater=disengagement. is this something i should be overly concerned about?

part of me says, "stick with whats workin, fool." but the other side says, "those eggbeaters would look sweet on that converted fixie. plus you could always put them on your mtb or singlespeed."
pros/cons of headin this route?
Sounds reasonable to me. I have Quattros on my road bike, and like them pretty well. New on them, so I still have to hunt for 'em a little, but otherwise they're great.

Hadn't thought of the strike = disengagement, but it makes sense. Almost seems like a good thing, in a way.

My favorite pedals for fixed are Frogs. Super easy to hit and easier to disengage, great float. Best pedals I've ever had. If only the cleats worked better on road shoes, they'd be on all my bikes. They need surrounds like quattro cleats have, sold as an accessory. Of course, since speedplay has the X's and Z's for the road, I'm not holding my breath.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
give it a try, you can alway find someone to buy 'em if you don't like
unless you are always bashing your pedals, I wouldn't worry too much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts