Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a couple problems that I wanted to run by you guys. First, when I put my crankset back on, and tightened the bolts, there is now some side to side play with both crank arms. They wobble for some reason. Second, I am trying to build my first bike and have come down to running the brake cables and gear cables. How difficult will this be and is this something I am even capable of doing with no experience? I do have Zinn's book on road bike repairs and the 32 piece tool kit from Park Tools. I have never run brake cables or gear cables. I am tempted to drop it off at my LBS, but it would be cool to do all the work myself. Thanks.

Links

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can't help you with the cranks other then to tell you to take them off and do a re-install and see if this helps. As far as the cables go, give it a try. If you still can't get them right, then take it to your lbs. Take your time and follow your book. Parktool.com is another source of good info so you might look there also.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Wobble fix?

links0311 said:
I am having a couple problems that I wanted to run by you guys. First, when I put my crankset back on, and tightened the bolts, there is now some side to side play with both crank arms. They wobble for some reason. Second, I am trying to build my first bike and have come down to running the brake cables and gear cables. How difficult will this be and is this something I am even capable of doing with no experience? I do have Zinn's book on road bike repairs and the 32 piece tool kit from Park Tools. I have never run brake cables or gear cables. I am tempted to drop it off at my LBS, but it would be cool to do all the work myself.
As suggested by Ray Dockrey, take the cranks off and try again. BUT, while you have them off, do a wiggle test on the crank axle - grab it with your fingers and see if you can detect any movement up and down or side to side. This would also be a good time to slowly turn the axle with light finger pressure to feel for any binding or roughness. If the BB axle is not wiggling, then it sounds like you didn't properly install the crank arms.

Regarding the cable install, the Zinn book, patience, and a "measure twice, cut once" mind set should get you through it. You probably should have a good set of cable cutters in hand, though in some cases you can just loop the excess cable and if your frame is on the large end of things, you may not have to cut the casing. If you can have another bike sitting around when you do the job, you will gain insight by looking at how the cables were done on that bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.