Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some real world experiences with these chain rings? I'm look at a 42t for my cross bike, but I'm a little worried about the chain line on the 11t cog. It seems like a really bad cross. Anyone fold a chain ring over with this setup or is the ring really strong/stiff. All reviews seem to be lifted from their site. Thanks

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I don't think chainline should be an issue. The design of current 2x drivetrains assume the user will be cross-chaining, so a 42t ring should be A-OK whether it's on inside or outside of spider.

I've had zero problems with Wolftooth with 105 4-bolt, but I am using a Sram clutch derailleur in back. I would not recommend running a 1x setup with a standard derailleur and no chain retention up front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it was fine. I just was curious what people thought. Haven't found a review that wasn't just a rehash of their site. I planned on running a chain guide. My current setup is 1x11 just with an XT crank and 39t e*13 Guide Ring. Since its a MTB crank the is almost perfect I just can't get a 42t chainring for it and I have a lighter/newer Ultegra crank just chilling in my parts box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my custom gravel bike back from my builder. I used an Ultegra crank with a Wolf Tooth ring and shifts perfect.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I'm running a 1x10 44t ring (5 bolt 5700 crank) and have no chain line issues. I'm also running a 5700 RD and no chain guide up front, and have not had any issues yet. I'm also running a Wolf Tooth ring on my single speed. I love these things!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts