Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Anybody read the article, any new info? Hopefully she is in jail.
No, she's not. Police seem to still be investigating, but she may have lost her job over this. It also appears that the story isn't quite as straightforward as it seems. On the one hand, we have this stupid twit boasting about knocking the cyclist off his bike, but then on the other hand, that cyclist, after finding her facebook page, proudly declares that with her pathetic little car she couldn't have, and in fact did not knock him off his bike. So it seems that, indeed, while she probably touched him with her mirror, he managed to stay on his bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I could sympathize with the cyclist, I just got hit for the first time tonight.

A courier minivan passed me in the left lane, then turned right sharply and hit his brakes hard to make it into the gas station entrance on the right side of the road.

The result was my left forearm soaked up the impact from the van. I uncliped, jumped off the bike and landed on my right side.

Unfortunately the bike needs to go to the hospital (mechanics) tomorrow. The van ran over my rear wheel. The impact also bent my handlebar and broke a bottle cage.

The worst part is that in Quebec, any damage to the bike has to go through court or home insurance, so it's not worthwhile. I'll have to pay it out of pocket.

All that to say, getting hit sucks! No person should take pleasure in someone else's misfortune. Luckily the driver who hit me was polite and cooperative, however he never offered to pay for anything which is a bit annoying.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts

A courier minivan passed me in the left lane, then turned right sharply and hit his brakes hard to make it into the gas station entrance on the right side of the road.

The result was my left forearm soaked up the impact from the van. I uncliped, jumped off the bike and landed on my right side.

Unfortunately the bike needs to go to the hospital (mechanics) tomorrow. The van ran over my rear wheel. The impact also bent my handlebar and broke a bottle cage.

The worst part is that in Quebec, any damage to the bike has to go through court or home insurance, so it's not worthwhile. I'll have to pay it out of pocket.

All that to say, getting hit sucks! No person should take pleasure in someone else's misfortune. Luckily the driver who hit me was polite and cooperative, however he never offered to pay for anything which is a bit annoying.
You should not let this go. Similar thing happened to a cyclist here but he got run over. Paralyzed. Glad you are ok but do whatever you can to get this guy off the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Turns out my carbon frame cracked where the car hit and my rear wheel is scrap.

Which is slightly more expensive than a $25 wheel truing.

Damned. Suddenly, the whole situation got a bit more serious.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts

If it were a private citizen driving the van and given Quebec law, you would be SOL. However I think you have a serious lever with the courier company to get damages at least. There is no way a company should be able to damage private property and not have to pay for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it were a private citizen driving the van and given Quebec law, you would be SOL. However I think you have a serious lever with the courier company to get damages at least. There is no way a company should be able to damage private property and not have to pay for it.
I spoke with a lawyer, I should be able to work things out with insurance. Worst case I'll have a deductible to pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.