Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youch!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/womans-fart-starts-fire-during-160040452.html
A patient's flatulence sparked a fire which caused her serious burns to her body, according to a university hospital in Japan.

Although the incident occurred on April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in the Shinjuku Ward, news of the accident is just being reported after a report was released from the hospital on Friday. The report was released by the hospital after a committee of outside experts examined the case and determined that there were no flammable materials inside the room at the time of surgery, according to Japanese newspaper the Asahi Shimbun.

The patient was in her 30s and was undergoing a procedure where a laser was applied to her cervix. Experts believe that the laser ignited the fire after the woman farted, which caused burns to "much of her body, including her waist and legs."

According to the report, the equipment was functioning normally at the time of the operation.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Maybe she was trying to commit sep-poo-ku.

I'll see myself out.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
ah, finally a reason for telling you not to eat anything 12 hours before surgery.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Operating room.. if this is real.. and I do mean IF... odds are that there was enough pure oxygen in the room that the lit fart was just a catalyst for the larger flame consuming the oxygen....

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Yea but did you light your farts with a laser? That's super heated gas!
You're still providing the same amount of "fuel". I lit my farts with a lighter and a mini-torch as a kid. No real difference, other than the small blue light makes the fart flame bigger.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I'd imagine they weren't using pure oxygen during a laser procedure.
If she was under, then yes, they probably were, but then again, I am not a doctor.. or medically trained.. hell I need a permission slip from my wife to just put a bandaid on my 4 year old :)

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I call bs on this. People must fart all the time during surgery, yet surgical fires are really, really rare. I think they accidentally torched the surgical drapes and this is just a cya cover story.

I am sorry the woman was burned. I wish her a full and fast recovery.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I don't care if it's bs or not, as a news headline, it's awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.