Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting acne on my forehead and the bridge of my nose after long rides (60 ish miles) now that it's getting warmer. It's only where my helmet is and where my glasses touch my face. Anybody out there have any reccommendations as to how to prevent this?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
hokierider05 said:
I'm getting acne on my forehead and the bridge of my nose after long rides (60 ish miles) now that it's getting warmer. It's only where my helmet is and where my glasses touch my face. Anybody out there have any reccommendations as to how to prevent this?
Clean N Clear
try to wash your face immediately after the ride. a lot of it is sweat and oils accumulating.
clean and clear works really well in my experience, oxy pads as well. Morning, Night normally every day, inc. days you dont ride.
days you do ride, immediately after the ride wash your face and use the pads. if a pad starts to get dirty looking, throw it away and get out another. dont hesitate to use 2, even 3, if necessary
-estone2
ps this is coming from a 15 y/o... i know what i'm talking about :p

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Make sure you clean your helmet pads regularly and your glasses every ride. Everything you wash off your face after a ride is still on your hat and specs, so you don't want to put that back against your face the next day. You probably don't need to wash your helmet pads every time, but once a week will help.

I also wear thin coolmax skullcaps whenever I ride. I find they soak up/evaporate a lot of sweat before it ever gets to my helmet pads or glasses, and don't feel hot at all. They're not much help with the helmet straps--those I wash from time to time.

Note that I keep my hair VERY short, and they may not work as well for longer hair. One benefit I get that anyone would get (no matter the length of hair) is that the skullies can be positioned so they're between the helmet pads and my skin--since they're so easy to wash, I have fresh, clean material against my head every day.

·
Registered
168 Posts
coolmax skullcaps

bikeboy389 said:
I also wear thin coolmax skullcaps whenever I ride. I find they soak up/evaporate a lot of sweat before it ever gets to my helmet pads or glasses, and don't feel hot at all. They're not much help with the helmet straps--those I wash from time to time.
bikeboy may I ask where you got the coolmax skullcaps, been looking for them for the same reason?

·
Registered
310 Posts
you can get those skullcaps from basically anywhere. I saw them at REI this weekend, so their website should probably have them too.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
texass4 said:
you can get those skullcaps from basically anywhere. I saw them at REI this weekend, so their website should probably have them too.

Well, you can also just wear a bandanna. I wear one every time and it soaks up a lot of sweat, dirt, etc. Pretty cheap too.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
physasst said:
Well, you can also just wear a bandanna. I wear one every time and it soaks up a lot of sweat, dirt, etc. Pretty cheap too.
I found that the cotton bandanas didn't evaporate off the sweat as fast as the coolmax. On a long ride with a bandana, I would still get sweat dripping onto my face--not so with the coolmax.

I wear the Sweat Vac Skullcap from Dowrap.com. They're not at all cheap at $15 each, but I have four that are a year old and still look like new. I expect to get another couple of seasons out of them easily. Bandanas ARE cheap, though.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
real stonie said:
You can always do nothing and claim to be 13.
ohhhh man.
13's not very bad actually. up till 15 i had a total of like 5 pimples, ever.
15 isnt that bad, for the first twoish months.
then you're in for it.
i think ive currently got two on my face
and well, lets just say that ive basically had two continuous in one place or another on my face for two months :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ancient Secret...

Try to coat a layer of cream cheese over your face before you take a ride. During the ride, if you get hungry, you can get a quick energy boost by licking parts of your face. Ancient Spaniards used this technique for centuries.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I carry these in my seat bag and use them after a ride:

Basis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts