Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my wife asked me about women on the tour. Me being new to this roadie thing, I could not answer. I assume that women are not allowed because there is only a mens catagory? Also how does one get to ride in the tour, is it by invitation or are the entry fees so high that only serious teams can afford it? Last, does the winner share his purse with his team and support crew?
If anyone cares to answer this or direct me to a site with info I would be gracious, so far I can not locate any info of this sort.

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
If you could find a woman able to compete with a good portion of the men on the tour, I'd be impressed.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
kayakguy said:
Last night my wife asked me about women on the tour. Me being new to this roadie thing, I could not answer. I assume that women are not allowed because there is only a mens catagory? Also how does one get to ride in the tour, is it by invitation or are the entry fees so high that only serious teams can afford it? Last, does the winner share his purse with his team and support crew?
If anyone cares to answer this or direct me to a site with info I would be gracious, so far I can not locate any info of this sort.
There used to be a Tour de France Feminin which was then re-named La grande Boucle Feminine. Jeannie Longo ruled in those races in her prime... wait, she's still in her prime! She just won the French TT championships for like the 30th time!!!!

Google these and you will find out about women and their Tour.

A+

Philippe

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Women and men are kept separate in bike racing, so don't expect to see a woman in the Tour until that changes, which isn't likely.

To get into the Tour, you have to be one of the top 20 teams in cycling, which is called the Pro Tour. You get an automatic invitation and it costs you nothing (although it is expensive to run a team at that level). There is space for 22 teams in the Tour, so the race organizers invite two other teams. Still, there is no entry fee, and the Tour actually gives teams some money to cover their expenses during the race.

The tradition in cycling is that all prize money is shared among the team and staff. For a grand tour (Tour of Italy, Tour of France, Tour of Spain), the tradition is that the winner does not take a share, essentially getting nothing from winning the race. Usually, the winner will make his money through endorsements and at post-Tour criteriums (kermesses) where he gets an appearence fee to show up.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
philippec said:
There used to be a Tour de France Feminin which was then re-named La grande Boucle Feminine. Jeannie Longo ruled in those races in her prime... wait, she's still in her prime! She just won the French TT championships for like the 30th time!!!!

A+

Philippe
This year it was won by Nicole Cook.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
philippec said:

A+

Philippe
Catfight!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I read an article many years ago about elite atheletes (both male and female). I think it was referring to marathons.

What it stated was that elite female athletes could beat 99% of the general male population in any endurance type sport. However when you look at comparing elite female athletes to elite male athletes then they physically can't compete in almost all cases.

You even see this playing out in golf which is primarly a technique, mental game. However, the male golfers ability to hit the ball farther gives them an advantage over 72 holes.

It would certainly create some interesting "nature breaks"

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
philippec said:
I think Longo would make a "morsel" of her ......

...... waiting...............

...........waiting..............

can't a fella get a rimshot please???
Nah, Tinus could beat her anytime because Jeannie has been around too Longo.

Ba-dum Crash! :) :rolleyes: :wink:

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
Its very common for newbies or people that don't follow cycling to think that bike racing is like running, in that you can enter a bike race, i.e. Tour De France, just like you can enter the Boston Maraton.

They are really completely different as others have pointed out.

I have a few Tour De France t-shirts, and whenever I wear one someone will always ask if I rode in the TDF. At one point it was getting boring explaining to everyone how the TDF and pro peloton works, so I started answering, "Yes, I finished second last year. That Lance sure is fast." People then give you the funniest looks.

If anyone asks you if you are ever going to ride in the TDF, just ask them if they are ever going to play in the SuperBowl, World Series or the Masters.

Have fun.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
badder2 said:
You even see this playing out in golf which is primarly a technique, mental game. However, the male golfers ability to hit the ball farther gives them an advantage over 72 holes.

It would certainly create some interesting "nature breaks"

Not only can they not hit the ball as far, they are much worse at putting. The leading female putter last year (A. Sorenstam) would barely make the top 100 in putting on the men's tour. Funny.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Alfonsina Strada

kayakguy said:
Alfonsina Strada was the only women to ever compete in a men's stage race.

Some information on her at the bottom of this informational page

http://www.biciveneto.it/giroditalia.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.